If a change is needed my #1 target is Tubberville

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lakindofguy, Oct 9, 2012.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If that works, I think we should fire Saban.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Nothing. He just unzipped.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol such an asshole.

4. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

No the assistants need to do what Tom tells them and there will be no problems. People talk about how the players don't fear Dooley. You think they would fear Tom Cable? He done a great job of organizing that franchise and if the Raiders would have kept him they would be in the playoffs every year by now. I think he would hire some great assistance too. He probably gets a good solid mix of NFL and college coaches for his staff. I think the college coaches will be strong recruiters and the pro coaches will be strong coaches. I think Tee he brings Tee Martin with him for sure and keep Jay Graham. What's going to be interesting, if he get's the job, will be Vol calls. Can you imagine the way he's going to react to those stupid calls and questions? I think Tom would build a very physical offense and defense here and I think he would be a good recruiter. He could about scare someone into coming to UT.He would be so fun to have around with his attitude. Perhaps a little like Orgeron but a better overall coach but not as good of a recruiter. I think that would be a great hire.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I would have been happy with Tubbs 3 years ago. However at this point we need a huge name. Plus Tubbs hasn't done particularly well at Tech. Leach had them in the Top 15 every year it seemed, I don't know if they've ever been ranked since Tubberville showed up. Not saying his system wouldn't work in the SEC, but it has cooled my opinion of him.

6. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

What's your opinion of Tom Cable?

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He was a fat loud mouth that beat up one of his assistants. Outside of that I know nothing about him.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He's already failed as a college head coach.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I think Tubs is a good coach, but I don't love the idea of hiring a guy in the twilight of his career.

10. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

His 3 years at Idaho did not go well. I'm very impressed with your knowledge BTW. That was a long time ago 2000-2003 and he has grown up a lot as a coach since then. Let me tell you why I think this will be a great hire for UT, even better than Tubby.

I'm going to start with his staff he would place. It would be a staff capable of winning in this league. Here's what I think it looks like.

Offensive Coordinator- Kippy Brown- Seahawks
    Running Back coach- Jay Graham
    receivers coach- Tee Martin
    Tight End/ special teams coach- Jeff Friday- Bengals
    QB coach-Pep Hamilton- Stanford
    Defensive Coordinator- Randy Shanahan
    LB coach- Lance Anderson- Stanford (one of best recruiters in nation)
    DB coach Clayton Lopez- Oakland
    DL coach- Ed Orgeron or Jay Haynes-Bengals-- will be hard to get orgeron but it's going to be a priority
    S&C coach- John Grieco- Oakland

Now what would you think of that for a staff? Tell me that staff couldn't win in the SEC.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Just glad Mike's long lost cousin Randy is finally getting the respect he deserves.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Why would Jeff Friday be the special teams coach when Darrin Simmons is a) actually the Bengals special teams coach and b) one of the finest at his job in the league.

Oh, and Jeff Friday is a Strength and Conditioning coach if anyone is wondering, which you aren't, but I wanted to set the record straight.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would have loved if we had gotten tubs when Kiffin left. Not so much now.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I feel the same way. If we're making a change let's do it right. Given the choice between Dools and Tubbs a few years ago I would have taken Tubbs.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Me too. Time has passed.

16. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't think Dave Hart was brought in to hire a guy like Tubbs. Might as well hire Chubbs from Happy Gilmore.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't think Ed Orgeron is ever coming back.

18. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

Sorry my bad. I was just trying to sort through his connections. If he was named coach I think you would have some coaches from the Raider and Bengal staff. Then maybe the USC and Stanford staff, and some UT guys. I think it would be a great staff regardless how he sorts it because he has a variety of connections both in college and pro.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Pep Hamilton isn't leaving an OC spot to be a QB coach here

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know if we can ever get Kippy again, either. I guess not having Mike Hamilton helps, but I still doubt he'd return.