If rumors are true Saban has just made his first big mistake.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Jan 15, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Where's Bruce Pearl now? Oh, that's right. Run out of the coaching profession for being the piece of garbage I always said he was. Not my fault that clowns like you chose to believe in such a morally bankrupt dipshit. That's on you.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Doofus is not even 1/16 of the coach Saban is but this was an even trade if not more in the favor of UT.

3. vol445

vol445 Member

guys i am not sold on dooley with the state our program was and is in, it would have taken the general more than 3 years to whip her back in shape. but i aint giving up on him yet. and this hire i kinda understand. lt leaving i totally get

4. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Predictably Hat focused on my Pearl comment and not the main argument. It is amazing the hate you have for him.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I wouldn't want to make Thompson mad.

Especially if I were a woman.

6. hatvol96

Great points. I'm thinking about all the great things Sunsowhat helped accomplish at Pitt. Oh, wait. Other than providing them with a son who couldn't play dead, he really didn't do anything there.

7. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Oh wow. And your commentary on his time in the NFL?

8. hatvol96

Heistand coached in the NFL. Lots of worthless guys have coached in the NFL.

9. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Well his first big test comes this Wednesday. He has an in-home with one of our bigger recruits who is on the fence. If he keeps our recruits together he has already done more then Lance would have done. In the end, we cannot fall back to where Fulmer left us with an empty cupboard. In theory Sunseri should help us do that. I will have to agree to disagree on your proposal Sunseri is worthless. He seems like one hell of a position coach and has made a brand name for himself. I do not think anyone is trying to argue he is a sure bet elite DC. We will find out in September.

You know you can be objective and still agree that overall Dooley has been a disaster this far. It does not mean there are no positives to his administration.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I won't pretend to know the comparative merits of coaches I've never met, but this isn't an even trade. From the outside it looks like we each get a Bama LB coach, but they got one to coach LBs and we got one as DC.

I also know that geting, and then keeping, Thompson were both considered coups at the time. I'm not sure what changed that made losing him now some sort of blessing.

11. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

yep

12. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Lets be clear Thompson was not a good recruiter for us this year in fact he might have been the worst recruiter on staff. He had ZERO recruits. He struck out. He did assist in McCullers recruitment but Dooley took lead on it mainly because Thompson has been [uck fay]ing up so royally. Joseph was a more valuable coach this past year then Thompson. I do agree he cold go back and suddenly be good again but here he had done very little since Kiffin left.

Thompson's big value is supposed to be recruiting. He is not a wiz coach. I cannot understand why anyone cares he is gone.

I guess for those of us who are internet junkies and hear all the rumors and all of what is going on at UT...there has been persistent rumors Thompson is not in to it. He was blowing off recruits and possibly being negative with them on the phone about UT (rumors). As far as results he has none, unless you count the number of coeds he is rumored to have slept with. It is telling to me he did not even get the respect of an interview for DC.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would argue Hiestand was worse than Lance recruiting wise.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Rivals shows LT as getting:

Darrington Sentimore
    Daniel McCullers
    Trent Taylor

The 2 biggest gets in this class were recruited by LT according to Rivals.

15. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Sentimore was the same as McCullers. Joseph and Dooley took it over. On 247 it lists Joseph in reality Dooley took our big DT recruits. Thompson simply could not be trusted to seal the deal. Again he could be awesome again at Bama no doubt but the rumors of him being bad on the recruiting trail and with his head out of the game have been here since last season. They were not created as spin after it was clear he was going to leave.

Trent Taylor had Hinshaw as his lead recruiter not Thompson. I am guessing rivals just lists the DL coach with any DL recruit. Thompson did not take lead on Taylor at any point from my understanding. 247 would be the better source for that kind of stuff IMO. Rivals does not even update their visit dates for months at a time.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  16. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I imagine LT sitting down at his desk and thinking about how the last three years could have gone differently.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

These are consistent with what I've heard about LT. My understanding is we'd have kept him if possible but was not offering an extension and definitely no sniff at DC opening. That he expected one and was hurt he didn't get one given his lack of distinguishing performance says much about him. He did do a good job of helping hold the 2010 class together during Kiffin transition and covering for Smith's ineptitude in 2010 but that's about all I can say for him.

I remember hearing one of the contributing reasons for his coming here in 2009 was personal issues, possibly marital related, that caused him to need to get out of Alabama.

There's been rumors that he's enjoyed the nightlife around Knoxville perhaps a bit too much. Maybe a bad habit he picked up from the Kiffin crew. Dooley just doesn't have much patience for that kind of nonsense particularly when the coaches are supposed to be an example to keep the players out of that nonsense. One thing is clear about Dooley, if you don't produce recruiting you won't last. That was an issue with CB, HH and apparently LT as well. Say what you will about Hinshaw's coaching (I think it's just fine myself) but he produces in recruiting, same with Joseph. Pittman is a huge upgrade and so is SS.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I guess. The QB play was terrible during the UGA game and got worse after Simms and Worley stepped in.

Pittman hasn't produced any on field results to go with his recruiting. Sunseri seems, on paper, to be exactly the same as Thompson. Both recruited tremendously well while at Alabama and both have a good resume. I don't see how you can say it's an improvement right now. It looks to be about even.

19. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I am not sure I agree with you Justin about Sunseri. As a DC is he an upgrade over Wilcox? I am going to say probably no but undecided. As a recruiter and postion coach is he an upgrade over Wilcox or LT...I am going to say yes an it is not close. He is beloved and I mean beloved by players. He had a long career in the NFL and was said to be very good at his job. LT has only ever been good at recruiting. He is competent as a postion coach. He was terrible as a DC. I honestly don't think Saban would make this trade if he had a choice.

Palermo to me is about as valuable as LT. We still have not replaced Sirmon. He was doing a lot of recruiting for us and coaching. The DB or LB hire is a big deal IMO. We need an A+ coach there.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod