If rumors are true Saban has just made his first big mistake.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Jan 15, 2012.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

That guy is an idiot. I should have known that from seeing the handicapped emblem on his shirt though.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Resume wise, it's a push. Both looked awesome when they had awesome talent to work with. I'm skeptical of hiring any more of Saban's disciples because they all tend to suck ass. However, Muschamp was a good DC so maybe Sal turns out well.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hinshaw will probably do better coaching receivers. He's done well there in the past.

4. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I agree kpt. I think we have upgraded recruiting wise. Coaching wise will be hard to tell. I will say this, with all these young defensive players getting another year of strength training, and the year of experience they got last year, it could make our perception of Sunseri seem better than Wilcox when the D plays better this year than last. I think Sunseri will be better than Wilcox, but thats just my opinion. I thought Wilcox had a good scheme, but it was pretty complex and looked like it was hard for the players to understand at times. One thing that irked me is we hardly ever blitzed. I think with Sunseri we will blitz. Another reason that I believe Sunseri will be an upgrade is that he can simply flash those 2 NC rings to recruits. I may be wrong, but he has better name value than Wilcox. If I were to give numbers to both of them on a scale of 10, I would say Sunseri is/will be a 8, and Wilcox was a 6 or 7 at best.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's hard to blitz when your best cover guy is Waggner. Wilcox literally had one db that was SEC level and he got booted before the season started.

I like how he started using Gordon, coming off the slot blitzing but it took 6 games to do it.

Hopefully Lanier and Coleman make strides and become decent corners. The lbs are young but talented and Tennessee actually has enough bodies to go 2 deep on the dl now.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have always been on the belief that if you blitz, it can make up for talent deficiencies. What do you guys think? You can't just blitz every play obviously, but a good coach will know when to pick his spots. Gregg Williams blitzing on that last play the other day was ridiculous. Thats an obvious coverage situation. i think 2nd and 6 to 15 is the best time to blitz. I would almost always drop a coverage scheme back on 3rd and long.

7. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Simms QB play reminds me of the Ron White routine, "you can't fix stupid". I'm not implying that Simms is stupid, what I'm saying is Simms sucks at QB and there's no way to fix that. Worley was a true Freshman admittedly not really focused because he never expected to play...oops cram session time. Maybe that's on Hinshaw not getting his head more into the preparation, I don't know.