If we beat Florida this year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by WM, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Change the title from "IF" to "When we beat Florida this year"!

2. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

You should probably go ahead and dramatically lower your expectations for how awesome getting married is.

3. tankervol

tankervol Member

A Baby Bjorn? That would be awesome.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ha

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The reason a woman has such a big smile on her face walking down the aisle at her wedding is because she knows she's given her last blowjob.

6. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

Being married to a great woman is fantastic. Being a dad is fantastic. Actually going through the process of becoming either of those things kinda sucks. Neither of them is going to touch being in the crowd for an epic all-time football win for sheer this-moment-is-wonderful awesomeness.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The 98 Florida game was my first game as a student, my freshman year. It was like nothing I've ever experienced since. I remember the guys Tenny D was talking about out on the strip before the game yelling at people and whatnot. I remember seeing the blimp flying over campus on Wednesday, and I was officially done with class for the rest of the week. Had done the whole camp out wait in the long-ass line for tickets that freshmen thought you had to do.

Then the game started. It was about 99 degrees that night, hell, there may have been a 90 mph wind but it seemed like the air just sat in the stadium and boiled. It seemed like the fate of the galaxy hung on every play, it was so tense. I remember them going up and down the field all night, rotating QBs in and out. But every time they were about to score, somebody made a big play, Al Wilson more often than not. Deon Grant's big interception...I saw that ball go up in the air, and 108,000 people all said "Oh shit, that's 6" and God put the world in slow motion for about 2 seconds and Deon materialized out of thick humid air and one handed that ball. I swear we went 3-and-out 40 times, but hit a couple big plays. Then OT. After we'd got a FG, Florida threw for the end zone on 1st down and had a guy open and I swear God put the world in slo mo again as the pass hit the turf. Then they missed the kick....

I'm sitting in section G, next to the band, and everybody behind me starts yelling GO, GO, and me being the good Baptist kid who'd never done anything wrong says "We're not suppos-" then I realized that I would die if I didn't. Being on the field was exactly like Tenny D described it. The goalposts were long gone by the time I got down there (I remember making fun of KState fans taking about 45 minutes to get theirs down after they beat Nebraska that year.) I remember some kid ripping the top bar off the chain-link fence that got trampled, he was like I'M TAKING THIS and i remembered thinking it was ridiculous, the damn thing was like 12 feet long. Some guy had a hot girl on his shoulders, and everybody was like LOOK AT THAT CHICK'S BOOBS! We eventually matriculated out to the strip and tried to go to McDonald's, and they had a cop out there who would let 1 in for every 1 who left. We walked around on the strip literally all night long, finally went back to my room in North Carrick at about 7 am. Didn't make it to church that Sunday.

8. JayVols

I have an awesome wife and 2 amazing girls. We dated 10 years and have been married for almost 17. Our secret is that we do what we want. She goes out with her friends and so do I. It works for us. We would kill each other if we were together all the time. I still stand behind the walking down the aisle with a huge smile comment.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have to play the game hard to hold on to a female. I can't imagine being in a relationship where we just " did what we want."

10. JayVols

If you have the right 'equipment', they will stay....

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

More of an issue of me having no common interests

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I was at the 98 game as well, still the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced. Once you left the tunnel, you could feel it. I almost can't explain it, but once you entered the stands you knew the crowd was going to be insane. And, it sure was.

I sat in the 7th row right on the 10 yard line in the south end, right in front of the missed kick and Grant's INT, back in the day when they randomly gave out seating assignments and tickets were part of the activities fee (and the students showed up). I remember my ears ringing for three days as a result of that night. I remember how ungodly hot it was and the student section packed in like a can af sardines. I actually had to stand sideways for much of the game.

I also remember the two second delay in it registering that we won as the kick was missed. I had been so relieved that UF didn't score a TD (it seemed all night they were on the verge of doing so), that I had mentally prepared myself for the inevitable second OT. Then, the people behind the goal went nuts and it sort of circulated around the field as the refs signaled wide left. I turned around and saw a mass of humanity descending upon me, which inspired me towards the field. I remember looking ahead and being concerned about a chain link fence surrounding the field, getting pinned against it. However, even before then, my left leg slipped as I tried to go over the concrete wall and I thought I was going to lose my leg for a second. Three seconds later, I get to the worrisome fence and it's lying flat on the ground.

Now, mind you, I was right in front of the play and went straight to the field, plus was a big time 5K runner at the time. So, I could move. However, by the time I was on the goal line, that goal post was down. I'd never seen anything like that mob of people. Just in a total frenzy. We were jumping up and down, even Charles Hathaway, who I saw down on the field, too. He was celebrating like anyone else.

After a while, I noticed the stench of people sweating through 90 degree weather in a giant sardine can. Holy shit did it smell. Still, it was the greatest moment of my undergrad career at UT. I've still yet to see a sustained noise and delerium in Neyland, or anywhere, as that game had.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was at every game from 2002 until 2009, and never experienced anything like what has been described here. Truly envious

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Seats were in DD row 4. Other than for getting on the field quickly, perfect seats for the game.

It's the loudest I've ever heard the stadium. I just remember seeing the fans behind the goalpost waving their hands in the no good motion, then having the 2 second delay to realize what had just happened, then going crazy. Hugging strangers, hugging and jumping up and down with my best friend/roommate, and then partaking in the, as John Ward so eloquently said, sheer pandemonium.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 2005 LSU win was a fun Monday night/Tuesday morning.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep, me too. I thought Collins had made it from where I was sitting. After 2 seconds, it was "Holy shit, we won! We finally beat the Gators." I had convinced myself we never would again.

17. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I can't believe Mayock asked "Is this the biggest win in Tennessee history?" I thought Fulmer handled that great. Although he could have said "No, we have SEC Championships and National Championships that were a little bigger than this one Mike."

18. NukemVol

NukemVol Member

That was fun. I participated in the party in front of the stadium and presidential courtyard. I really enjoyed the 06 Cal game. Pretty good game for a season opener.