If/When Dooley gets fired.....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Apr 2, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Let's break this down shall we?

Gruden - How many times are we going to have to deal with this? If Gruden wanted a college job, he would have a college job by this point. He'd be in Knoxville by this point. Gruden is an NFL coach and will only coach in the NFL. It's fun to have wet dreams about, but that's it.

Stoops - I mean, I would not complain, but he's making a whole lot of money at OU and he's on the verge of a video game dynasty in the Big 12 with how it's laid out. I just don't understand why he would want to go an undertaking of the finishing touches of a rebuilding effort when he's got it as good as any coach in the country right now. And that said, I'm not 100% sure he's still got what it would take to undergo the rebuilding process.

Carroll - I am actually not opposed to this at all. If it doesn't work out in Seattle, I'm all for this.

Patterson - He's been contacted before and said no thanks before. Why would he change his mind now?

Dantonio - I thought you didn't want anyone from the Saban tree?

Strong - I'm all for this, but other than 2 years at Louisville, you are going to have a hard time convincing me he is that much more proven that Kirby Smart is. There's not much difference.

Golden - Not opposed, also not seeing him leaving Miami.

Briles - Have you really taken a good long look at his track record? If so, what in the world makes you think that will win in the SEC? And it's amazing what can happen when you luck out on elite talent as a QB that happens about once in every coach's career. 2011 was the exception, not the norm.

London - UVA alum, and honestly, no doubt a great mind, but what is the real difference between him and Smart?

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

qft

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

From everything I have been told (I dont want to sound like I have the AD on speed dial), he is probably right in this case.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Briles recruited Keenum to Houston and Griffin to Baylor. The guy didn't just "luck" into having two great QBs. That being said, I don't really want him here.

If, and this is a big if, TCU starts giving Patterson shit for the players getting arrested for drugs, he may jump ship. I don't see that happening. TCU has invested a lot of money in the program.

I doubt London leaves Virginia.

I think Strong is a great coach. I would love to see him here.

Smart is, by all accounts, a great football mind that Saban has had to fight to keep on staff.

If I were making the calls, the first would be to Pete Carroll, second to Patterson, third to Strong and fourth to Smart.

5. CardinalVol

I forgot about Keenum. Point about QBs retracted. That said, I still don't want him here.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Other than all of his head coaching experience (in which he's greatly exceeded expectations in both years), he's no more proven than an assistant. Well yeah

If Louisville has a big year this year (and there's no reason they shouldn't), Strong should be at the top of our list (or right below names like Carroll and Patterson).

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He very well might be available.

8. CardinalVol

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him and be happy, I just don't think the difference is that vast between the two. If we make a move and Strong, he says no, and then we "settle" for Smart, then I'm going going to tear my clothes and gnash my teeth.

My first call is to Carroll. Strong and Smart and 2A and 2B.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His resume is something else.

I don't think he could recruit outside the state of Texas either.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The folks on The Hill are doing everything humanly possible to ensure that Tennessee remains above reproach when it comes to compliance, meaning, there is no way that Pete Carroll is even considered, much less is actually contacted or offered the job.

And let me be clear on my intent in saying, "no way" - I mean:

ZERO percent chance.
    None.
    The option does not even exist.
    If he listed both NCAA President Mark Emmert and Jesus as his personal references, he would not be considered.
    If someone mentioned his name, they would be smacked in the mouth.

There is a better chance that....
    We hire Saban
    We hire Belichick - and Sean Payton is the O-coordinator
    [MENTION=48]NYYVol[/MENTION] would stop trolling local rest stops along the I-81 corridor
    [MENTION=15]hatvol96[/MENTION] and MHF would become roomies in a chalet in Gatlinburg
    [MENTION=16]The Dooz[/MENTION] would tattoo an "88" on his forehead
    [MENTION=13]justingroves[/MENTION] would be banned from toos
    [MENTION=225]Unimane[/MENTION] would vote for Romney

Gruden is close to being in this category, as well, but there's actually a better chance that we'll hire him than Carroll....because he'll at least get a cursory call.

In this instance, LWS is likely spot-on in his Smart prediction (I've heard the same thing from a few, albeit largely unreliable, people). He wouldn't be my first choice, either, but if the "homerun" hires aren't there, he is most likely who we end up with, for well or ill.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  11. orange haze

orange haze New Member

OK guys, this is my first post so just throwing this name out there... Sean Payton.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Ticker tape hire, for sure.

But, he's fighting to save himself in the NFL now, and one would think that he will want to return and clean up his sullied image at that level, first and foremost.

I don't think that he would entertain the idea, but he would be an other-worldly hire, on par with hitting the lotto, if it ever came to pass.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

If only I had won the lottery.

14. chavisut

Would a Kirby Smart hire be a make or break hire for Hart?

15. chavisut

He is right, unless he's wrong. In that case, he's not right.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Welcome. We are known around the interwebz as the "pro-Dooley" board.

17. CardinalVol

Honestly don't know if the plan is for Hart to be here long enough to have a make or break hire.

18. chavisut

His choice?

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm so in the tank for Al Golden it isn't funny. I think he is a fantastic head coach, and was available when we hired Dooley last go round.

20. orange haze

orange haze New Member

Thanks, I've enjoyed reading the forums on this site for awhile but finally joined and stopped being a "lurker".