If Wilcox leaves for ASU.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 7, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Dooley is in a corner either way. This brings the house down if it happens.

3. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

I'm still trying to understand the love for Wilcox. Sure, his defense worked for one half, unfortunately, it didn't work for the half that mattered.

If he leaves, good riddance.

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I actually agree with this sentiment. While I agree he didn't have a lot to work with, I hardly see him being worth a raise and a headache. I know we don't want to lose Sirmon, but in reality, we're just trying to prevent a bad situation from getting worse by just delaying the real issue that needs to be addressed with the coaching staff.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

The truth is Arizona St. isn't hiring Justin Wilcox to be their head coach.

6. Can we offer to throw Dooley in with the deal?

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Agreed.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a look at their messageboard suggests it would be a popular hire. i was surprised. i wouldnt' be excited about it even with his cal connections.

9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Did you happen to notice the players or lack thereof he had available on the field? That had more to do with 2nd half issues than defensive calls and in week preparation. Now if these issues are still there in 2012 and especially in 2013 than it's all on Wilcox. Personally I'd like to see what he can do with a line-up of legit SEC players.

10. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

What ever happened to loyalty, like Chavez had for Fulmer? If Wilcox leaves, it is a direct reflection on Dooley. Perhaps Dooley was wrong when he said, "we have hit rock bottom and we start climbing out right now", a week and a half ago. I would rather see Dooley leave than Wilcox!

11. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

Wilcox at least showed improvement throughout the season. You cant blame our defense for losing to Kentucky. While they did stock up quite a few running yards, Kentucky was held to 10 points. Couldnt our offense have scored 11? And our defense won the Vandy game on their own. We didnt get the call for a safety, and everyone seems to forget a 100 yard pick 6 that our defense was not on the field to defend. The game should have never went into overtime, which is when our defense won the game with their own whistled blown pick 6.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Exactly and worse case go back to DC with a couple Mill in the bank.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure Senor Chavez pursued a couple of head coaching vacancies while at Tennessee. The Cincinnati job was one, I believe.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Loyalty, as in "Derek I'm going to turn down 5 times the salary and the chance to run a BCS program of my own so that I can stay here and play second fiddle to you because we are buddies" loyalty?

I didn't know Chavis had that.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You're overstating the significance of the "negative situation". If you're a coordinator and you have the opportunity to take a HC job at a PAC-12 school, you take it. Athletic Directors come and go. I don't even see how that could be loosely construed as a factor.

If Wilcox were offered that job, he'd unquestionably take it and it would in no way shape or form reflect negatively on Dooley.

16. kidbourbon

Loyalty? Dooley and Wilcox aren't dating. They aren't tugging each other off between film sessions. There is no such thing as employee loyalty. There is such a thing as employer loyalty. Perhaps you are confusing the two. If I'm an associate at a pretty good law firm and I get along with the partners, and I"m making pretty good money and doing reasonably interesting work...but then another law firm -- a more prestigious firm -- calls me up and offers me a job that pays me significantly more, and allows me the opportunity to actually try cases, rather than just be on the trial team, like I always have been at my current firm.

Are you telling me that I shouldn't take that job? I should be loyal to the old firm and turn down a pay raise and an opportunity to get better experience? Is that *actually* what you're getting at?

If so, that would be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a fortnight.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't know that. They may be tugging each other off between film sessions.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There were a few occasions this season where I was convinced that they were spending more time tugging something or someone off instead of preparing to win football games.

19. kidbourbon

True. I can't say for sure.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The rumors are growing...this may be imminent...