If you could live in any state what would it be?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Jan 22, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I got to say, I am always ready to move after a couple years or so. I don't think there is a one place for me.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

San Francisco right now, then Montana for a few years.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am partial to Manhattan Beach and the Pasadena area.

4. WM

WM Active Member

Let me expand the topic. A dream locale outside the states?

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Florence Italy or Barcelona Spain.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Colorado or California/Nevada up around Lake Tahoe. Or NYC.

If I had a girl that I was content with, probably one of the former two options because I like skiing quite a bit and am much much better than any of you chumps or any of your friends or even your friends friends (if I let that connection go too far, somebody is going to know Bode Miller, and I'm gonna be screwed). If I didn't have a girl, the latter. Mostly because I just freaking love that city, and it has a favorable female/male ratio, and those girls ain't in the Big Apple for its churches.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I did a couple month stint in Charleston after undergrad just to fart around before I started a real job, and I gotta say, I don't think I would enjoy living there. The heat/humidity is more than I can tolerate. It's oppressive.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Since we are now expanded, I vote for Orient Beach, St. Martin, Dutch West Indies.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Who says one place and one place only?

I'd do a year or three in NYC / PHI / BOS before the kids got too old.

Then 2-3 in San Diego or LA (personally prefer San Diego).

Then back closer to home for several - Raleigh / Asheville / Spartanburg sort of place.

Then retire back in East Tennessee on either the biggest lakefront property or as high and far into the Smokies as I could afford for the duration.

For the record, and with all due respect, I wouldn't live in GA / FL / AL if they made me Governor and allowed me to work from home 4 days a week in a neighboring state. For me, the sun / beaches shit is overrated - and I'd rather spend my springtimes fellating old men with urinary tract infections than to even attend a single spring training baseball game, meaning, it holds less than modest appeal to me.

Hilton Head would be ok....until summer vacation started...and then I'd be like living in downtown Gatlinburg during a taffy pulling contest. And I lived in VA Beach / Hampton Roads....you can keep those, too.

Richmond, Denver, Seattle, Austin all seem nice, at least to visit. Denver, as well. I loved Annapolis when I visited a few times, but don't think I could live there.

If I went big city (and kids weren't an issue), I'd go: DC, NYC, SD, LA, LV - in that order.

International: Barcelona, Toulon, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

If I were to be confined to East TN - Knoxville. Second choice would be suicide.

If I were confined to West Tennessee, suicide would be my first choice.

If only the South, I'd say: Asheville, Knoxville, Nashville, Raleigh.

Of course, even with all of this being said, I don't ever intend to live outside of the Knoxville area again, having already lived elsewhere before. Well that, and I already know where all of the best rest stops are located.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

St. Maarten is the shit. I'd live on the Dutch side and work on the French.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Had I not married, settled down, had kids, etc. I would be living in Russia full time. I think I'll still end up heading that way in a few years with wife and kids in tow if things work out.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I enjoyed living in san francisco, but i went a full july once without seeing the sun. it can get to you a little.

Manhattan Beach might be the best place to live in the world if you are rich. The smog in pasadena can be an issue. Hermosa Beach, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Santa Monica, Playa Del Rey, all also very nice. San Diego would be a place i'd certainly consider retiring to with the walkability of downtown (gibbs big fan), but for raising kids or being young it's not ideal. Traffic is pretty horrible too. Even worse than LA.

Florence Italy. Or anywhere in tuscany for that matter. Trastavere area of Rome is pretty amazing. South of france is nice as well. If you want english speaking, I'd sugest australia.

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

WORK ?????? [uck fay] that shit!!!!

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I always wanted to live in Montreal for a couple of years. Would like to move to Alaska again as well. Doesn't matter where.

15. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

mid-summerthrough the fall - Lake Manitowoc, Wisconsin

late fall through the end of winter - Longboat Key, FL

early spring through mid-summer - Black Hills area

international: Prague, Czech Republic, New Zealand, some castle currently for sale in the UK

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

For some reason, I never liked Europe much outside of Britain. At least for living. Maybe I am too much of an anglophile.

17. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

The big island of Hawaii or Southern Colorado.

18. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Internationally I think I'd like Ireland.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Internationally, I would look to mid/norhtern-Italy. Reasonable weather. Living in wine country, near the ocean for the water, near the mountains for the skiing, near Germany for the beer. Seriously? I think that Greece probably "loves" Americans more than Italy..but you'd get by.

20. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

I lived in Florida....won't do it again. I'd most likely go out west but wouldn't make it permanent