IG Report on FBI / DOJ

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

First, if any discussion is possible, it’s probably most important to clearly state that the misdeeds of some (FBI / DOJ / Comey / et al) do not necessarily exonerate another (Trump / Clinton, etc.).

Example 1: Hillary isn’t any less guilty of misusing her personal email simply because an FBI agent illegally / unethically leaked information of it to the media.

Example 2: Any collusion which occurred between the Trump team and Russia can’t be simply excused or explained away by merely proving that an investigating agent didn’t support his candidacy or agree with his political views.

Next, it’s at least equally important to re-state that there is a wide and significant difference between a court of law and an IG report, that everyone is entitled to due process, and while speculation for the sake of discussion is fine (it’s largely why this board exists), ultimately, the presumption of innocence remains, until otherwise proven.

Finally, inclusion in the IG’s Report - however exonerating or damning - doesn’t necessarily mean it’s fully and completely true, in whole or in part, or that it will / would withstand legal scrutiny.

So, here’s a link to the original report, and let’s dig in:
    https://www.justice.gov/file/1071991/download

2. Tenacious D

Comey comes off as a bumbling incompetent, and blatantly insubordinate, at best.

His public admission and letter to Congress notifying them of HRC’s emails on Weiner’s laptop was some three weeks after they had been discovered - meaning, while this news was a bombshell in any regard, it’s belated disclosure was likely even more negatively influential in the minds of some voters, given that it was made three weeks closer to the election.

Now, some would allege (and I’ve yet to read this portion of the report) that this is mere happenstance and/or incompetence. Still others would allege that the cause of the delay was that the FBI slow-walked the info, in hopes that it wouldn’t come out before the election, if even then, and that such only occurred because the FBI field office in NYC essentially forced Comey to publicly acknowledge what many had known for weeks. Simply, the armchair allegation is that Comey / the FBI tried to help HRC by withholding proof of her emails being found on Weiner’s laptop, but this delayed disclosure actually and unintentionally caused her candidacy even greater harm, by being released later, and which also did significantly more damage to the perception and reputation of the FBI, in the process.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Both sides are going to see this report as validation/ammunition. Just more fuel for the tribalism fire.

The Dooz likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My thoughts on a skim of the the executive summary -

Plenty of blame to go around to everyone.

What people are willing to do to gain/hold/withhold power are not surprising but still amazing to me.

I cannot believe we can't figure out to never send things in texts/email that we don't want to see in one of these reports.

Both sides will use partial trusts as ammo.

It is a great summary of why I have become a guy who used to love national level politics and now loathe it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think everyone can agree that Comey [uck fay]ed up, even if we disagree precisely when and how.

justingroves likes this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

But don't forget how virtuous I am. - James Comey

7. Tenacious D

I do think we all agree on that.

I also agree with the report’s assessment that there is no evidence that his actions - inept, insubordinate and inexplicable as they sometimes were - were politically motivated.

But that’s Comey, personally.

My questioning of the motives and actions of others, such as McCabe, Strzok, his paramour, others at FBI / DOJ / Intelligence not only remain, but strongly.

8. Tenacious D

His arrogance got the best of him, and in deciding to be the single arbiter of what was right / wrong, he got over his skis and it caught him.

Not even the FBI Director can fantastically piss on both Parties and survive for very long.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    zehr27, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.