Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

When asked whether legalizing illegal immigrants would help unemployed Americans, Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D.-Md.) responded by pointing to testimony from the director of the Congressional Budget Office that Van Hollen said indicated enactment of the Senate immigration bill (which gave illegal aliens a "path to citizenship') would "reduce the deficit and increase long-term economic growth."

What... no cure for Cancer?!?

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...ollen-legalizing-illegals-will-reduce-deficit

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

James O’Keefe as Osama bin Laden crosses border from Mexico to US

[video=youtube;fB37TCDcZBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB37TCDcZBg[/video]

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bin Laden would have to swim a helluva long way while carrying a fair amount of lead weight inside his body just to get to get to the Rio Grande.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Awesome!!

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The earned income tax credit is dumb. I got back more than I paid in a few times due to it.

I don't understand how that works.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's entirely possible to pay negative taxes. you'd think the minimum would be set at zero, but that's not the way it works.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd be fine with this if they then arrested and charged and fined the people who they were working for "off the books" in those years.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm glad I'm not an accountant

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was talking to an accountant about the little side business a friend and I have. He was recommending we hire someone at minimum wage and reclassify our business as soon as we could, to save on taxes. I told him I didn't think it would be ethical to pay someone minimum wage to work with life-threatening chemicals (we do some dangerous lab stuff). He paused and then said, "ethics have nothing to do with it. This will make you more money."

That's why I'm not an accountant.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Kind of painting with a broad brush there.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just saying, I can't think that way. No judgements. He is a good dude and was simply doing his job by telling me that.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think he's telling you to put the worker in harms way, plus training would be your responsibility on training.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm sure you could pay him more than minimum wage. . .

15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

As i have stated previously, providing drivers license to non-US citizens legal or illegal creates a loophole for voter registration since a drivers license is all that is needed to register to vote.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yep...Training, personal protective equipment, yada yada is all on the employer. Wage means nothing when it comes to a safe workplace, regulatory wise.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

To be clear there is no "tax benefit" to paying someone minimum wage. Actually the more you pay the better tax benefit

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and I'm not sure how it changes the structure of the business. That makes no sense at all to me.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm assuming he's telling him to go from an partnership (or LLC) to an S corp and having any employee has tax benefits. I assume he said minimum wage because he knew they didn't have a lot of money. though I'm not sure that's good advice. given the revenues he's talking about he'd almost certainly be better off as an partnership/llc. and certainly wouldn't be better of hiring someone he doesn't need.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

This was exactly the conversation.

Referring to warhammer's post, of course training and equipment would be my responsibility. Even still, A minor accident using concentrated hydroflouric acid is deadly. A quarter-sized drop on skin is fatal, and there are very limited options to treat you. I'm not going to have someone working with it for minimum wage. If we ever got to the point where we could pay someone a decent wage it'd be different, until then I'll do it.