In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That's a good point.

I saw them rolling him out. I'm wouldn't necessarily say they were fully moving the pocket.

2. tripper

tripper Member

I have been critical of Jancek and Martinez but they along with Thigpen know what it takes to win in the SEC. Jones doesn't and it shows.

3. TennTradition

Does he have horrible vision up the middle? I mean there has to be some reason they're afraid of it.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Outside of the return team and offensive line, we had the more talented team. Don't give me 22 true freshmen bullshit. Our staff sets us up for failure. He made the bed, he can ****ing lie in it.

5. TennTradition

Honest question - how skilled does an oline need to be to effectively move the pocket without getting the QB blown up? Would you expect these guys to be able to do it easily (be fair). I'm asking because I don't know.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You can still pass pro and do a semi roll.

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I didn't say they moved the pocket, but they tried moving him around. That was the first play that came to mind. He started rolling out then started back-pedaling almost immediately because of the pressure.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Since Worley never looks off the primary you don't have to worry about cutting the field in half either.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I said to move the pocket. Your response to the initial post makes no sense then.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Horse crap. All of it.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think that it's that he has a horrible time reading defenses. So the quick hitters and curl routes leave the thinking out of the equation.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Personally, I don't care who is or isn't at fault. I am just tired of seeing other programs turn their stuff around in a year and we are mired in 10 years of hell.

Call me when we decide that winning is important, and then I will bother to care again. Until then, GBO. rah rah rah. ho hum, ho hum.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Where I am at as well. I'm sick of being told this takes 20 years to turn around. If you can't adjust your play calling to what you have on your roster, you are stealing a paycheck.

14. TennTradition

So Worley is just an idiot.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Now that the madness of Saturday has worn off for me, I still think that if we land a dual threat qb, it's going to look completely different and a lot better. That's why I contend that Juaun Jennings better be the real deal.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Interesting title. I was actually thinking about this. Say you were in a some sort of extreme debate club (sounds awesome, I know) and your life literally depended on winning a case. You could either argue for or against Butch being capable of winning in the SEC. Your life hangs in the balance. Which side do you take?

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pretty much.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Debate the advantages of taking sleeping pills over being beheaded.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just thought it'd be a good question for the talk radio guys that always shrug off questions about coach quality with "too early to tell", "I think if X happens he could do well", "can't expect to go undefeated every season", "think how Dooley would be doing right now", etc.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will be honest. I actually like Butch Jones (without ever meeting the man, of course). I want him to win here. But if he is too stubborn to look truthfully at our offense and realize it isn't working, then he isn't the man for the job.

In all walks of life you have to be willing to examine things as they are, not as you want them to be, and be willing to do the hard things and change what isn't working.

And I am not placing this on Worley either. I think the kid is doing what he is capable of doing and taking a ****ing beating doing it. His coaches are failing him by a) keep rolling him out there or b) putting him in situations that are impossible.

And this takes us back to Jones. Either he adapts or he dies. It is the way of Nature.