In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

On most plays, not much. But there have been a handful of snaps this year when he's had plenty of time to check down and rarely did so. He either stares his guy down for so long he gets sacked or ends up throwing it away. Whether he's been conditioned not to check down due to line play and JV coaching or he is incompetent is irrelevant to the fact that we don't check down. Period.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Playing a SECw schedule.

3. Beechervol

Didn't need magic and fireworks.

A quarter of Robert Neyland and Johnny Majors would have sufficed for a W Saturday.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I get where you are going, Tenny. But as I said, I am simply tired of it. It has been ten years of "we need to be patient." I am tired of being patient. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do not want Jones fired. In fact, I think he needs and deserves four years. But how he handles this offensive design over the rest of this season and the off-season will show us if he is a four year guy or a ten year guy. It is as simple as that for me.

Until then, I refuse to give the program my heart. I will never cheer for a different University. UT is my Alma Mater. It is my home. I have lived in Knoxville (or surrounding townships) most of my life. I want my children to go to UT.

But I cannot willfully put myself into the same place I was Saturday morning only to get stomped on again because our coaches are too stubborn to risk losing the game in order to win it. I rather they go down in ****ing flames, throwing and stretching and doing ANYTHING that could possibly win the game, than what I saw Saturday.

GBO

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I kind of like this angle, and for the most part agree, yet don't really care enough to find the time to get into on a message board.

I'm glad you do.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I haven't made an argument yet. Just for the record, since you are assigning grades.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Oh, and what play would make our offense look better? How about Worley keeping the ball just once. That is all, just once and get that 4-5 yards they are GIVING you. "Oh, he might get hurt." Hell, he is getting hammered anyway, give him a chance in open space to slide after 5 yards, even if there is no one within 10 yards of him.

Do that enough, the ends stop crashing the middle and voila! the running backs have SOME space to run. Peyton Manning's and Dan Marino's love child could run around the end for five yards when the ends and LBs are crashing into the middle every play.

NOTE: I have never played or coached football, so I could be talking out of my ass. In fact, I give it more than a 75/25 chance I am.

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Ole Miss beat:

9-4 Vandy by 4, +70 yardage diff
    8-5 Texas by 21, +120 yardage diff
    10-3 LSU by 3, +137 yadage diff

4 cuppycake wins (Arkansas was one of them)

Ole Miss lost:

11-2 Alabama by 25, -230 yardage
    12-2 Auburn by 8, +89 yardage
    9-4 TAMU by 3, -125 yardage
    12-2 Missouri by 14, -107 yardage
    7-6 Miss State by 7(OT), +22 yardage

The only game they lost but should have won is Miss State. They played sloppy and lost the TOP margin by 20:00 and turned the ball over 4 times.

Ole Miss didn't have an easy schedule. 2014 UT would probably go 5-7 with that schedule. Seeing us beat any team of .500+ quality is a crapshoot.

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think you're missing the point. When we moved him around he threw interceptions. I'm saying nothing will work.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'll ask you this:

Who here thinks that the 2014 Florida team will finish 8-4 or better in the regular season?

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It would have to be 8-3 or 7-4. They only play 11. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish 5-6.

12. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Dobbs was supposed to be that guy to run this offense. He had all off-season to build on his in-game experience. Either the coaching staff misjudged his talent or he is a headcase, or both.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

With a new QB? Anything is possible if Driskel isn't leading the team. He might be close to 08 Crompton level QB.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Ahh...the dreaded Idaho game. Just think, they could be sitting at 4-1 right now.

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Well, damn, you're right. Good catch.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, Florida is really trending upward. Solid point.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think he was a pre-season designated RS.

He got 0 1st Team drives with the 1s in the Spring. He wasn't even being remotely considered.

I think the staff thought they had enough with Worley to simply not lose games. Right now, Worley is the sole reason we lost Florida. He should have seen the strongside blitz but didn't. Tabor wasn't hiding his intent. That fumble turned the entire game around.

Who knows what the staff does. Should they give Peterman a lot of time with the 1s and give him a fair chance to build some modicum of confidence? I don't think he's a great option but you can't lie in seeing Peterman has been thrown to the wolves in both games he has played in so far.

But Dobbs I think is the guy and we won't see him until next year.

18. Beechervol

Should be 2-3 with the Idaho win. 1-3 without it.

19. Beechervol

Ls - Bama, UGA, FSU
    Possible Ls - LSU, Mizzou, SC

6 or 7 wins IMO.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Depressing.

IP, how are those stasis pods coming along?