POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Built into this question is an assumption of linear responses and steady states. It doesn't work like that. Demand responds to conditions and price. Having affordable/cheap something leads to more people using it which leads to a pinch and prices going up. It is a global market and a growing population.

One can argue to open up ever more supply, but things are finite and there is a resource pyramid where even if there is plenty more supply, all the most affordable places to extract are the first to be used.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’d say the uncertainty with regulations and ESG is driving the increase the most, due to future projects being delayed or canceled over the risk added.

A lot of countries will struggle with natural gas due to the supply of it not being where the demand is but that’s not an American issue and we’re the best positioned.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We were using more gas in 2019 but prices were lower. Is that correct?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...t-remain-shy-of-pre-pandemic-level-2021-08-10

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I was under the impression it was more price gouging than the Ukraine invasion at this point.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

These are not mutually exclusive. You can have adequate supply but less competitive sources.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't disagree with that. How do we get these sources to lower their prices like they have in the past if they have adequate supply?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the US, lift the embargoes on Venezuela and Iran.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, so the fair tax vote was a nothing burger dead-on-arrival? Why did someone want a vote on something so half baked and unsupported?

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Campaign fundraising email.

Poppa T, HCKevinSteele and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NY strips are 15$ a pound. [uck fay] me I haven't priced red meat in a long time, but damn

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

What’s the grade of meat? I wouldn’t find that unreasonable for Prime, maybe a tad high for choice.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

get a flatiron. One should be enough for you 4. No wasted meat. Cook to medium and slice it thin. Very tender. One will cost anywhere from $9-$15 depending on the weight. Not flank. Flatiron. I get it sealpacked at Kroger.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Man, I could get like 3 eggs for that.

justingroves, zehr27 and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

if you like red meat, you better find a local farmer

justingroves likes this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Better be related to one or be willing to do potentially unnatural things.

NorrisAlan and TennTradition like this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Just a little slap and tickle should do it.

producers aren’t seeing the increase in prices for them. Just the inputs sky rocketing

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Prices at the grocer are just now catching up to what a couple of places around here were charging five years ago. It's still better quality, but I told one guy at the local farmer's market that he shouldn't believe the hype. This ain't Nashville.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most of the cost is in the processing. If we could get those issues solved it would dramatically change the game.

Now if you want 100% grass fed and finished, you’re going to have to pay more due to the time increase