Interesting Take on the Vols Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by KenTenn, Jul 7, 2014.

1. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Slowly but Worley?

We need a quarterback with talent above The Sun Belt.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You're being generous. If a Sun Belt staff was faced with the prospects of Worley being their starter, they'd slash their playbook and find out who else on their roster has hs QB experience.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Texas State would jump all over Worley and Dobbs

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Would they? I don't think a team who can't rely on average talent around the QB position would be jumping at the chance to get an immobile QB that can't do much more than throw 10-yard frozen ropes.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm sure the article's writer was just trying to put out a nice fluff piece but he doesn't even try to defend his point, that " Justin Worley got progressively better -- even if his stats didn't show it." And he also called South Carolina, Worley's "signature win."

Truth be told, he was a Marquez North away from having a 4 quarter performance that mirrored the ineptitude he showed the last 57 minutes at Oregon and entire halfs of WKU and USA defenses. The final 5 drives against SoCar looked like this: Rush -- Worley had a 10 yard scramble, took a 3rd down sack. Pass -- 4/10, 2 completions for 77 yards where North came back to the ball and setup scoring opportunities by taking the ball from defenders. 2 completions where he hit a swing pass out of the backfield (for 7 and -7 respectively), and 6 incompletions that found the ball reach the stands twice and a near interception in the endzone where the ball bounced off two defenders.

Infact, before North's miracle catch, Worley was 3/10 on 3rd downs in the game which nearly mirrored his 3rd down numbers against WKU (4/10) and USA (4/11).

Where was the damn improvement from Worley? Did it happen the next week at Alabama where he was well on his way from being ran out of the stadium before his injury took him off?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  7. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Georgia Southern beat Florida without completing a single pass...we don't need a QB.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Why would you belittle a player like that?

#notatruefan

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Might have been a compliment.

10. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

Exactly. Worley doesn't have a single positive play last year without North bailing him out. The only thing he can do his throw semi-accurate lame ducks that North can go up and steal from the defenders.

The fact that there is even a competition makes me worried about Dobbs's offseason progression.

11. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Except he hit clutch throws to Croom and Josh Smith during the UGA game to extend drives, hit Branisel on what looked like a TE/Hback wheel route if such thing exists. Without those throws we never even go to OT.

12. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

I didn't see the Georgia game, so I can't speak to that. But from every game I did see, he was awful. He just flat out doesn't have SEC talent. The only reason he's even close to starting is Dobbs has no grasp of the playbook.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It's hard for me to understand how Dobbs can't develop enough to beat out Worley by a decent margin. I mean he's not an idiot, and he has the physical tools to make up for areas where he lacks, at least to some extent.

14. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

It drove me nuts how so many people were pinning Dobbs as the answer for the future. Nothing he did last year pointed towards that. Nothing he has done in the off season is pointing towards that. If he is not clearly superior to Worley at this point I am doubting that his ceiling is as high as so many thought it would be. I could give two ****s if he is an engineer.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

A lot of that was hope because Worley is mediocre on his best day. Dobbs may not be future or really even a good option but at worst hes equal to Worley with 2 years to get better.

16. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I don't disagree with you, but as bad a Worley was last year, I am ashamed to say that I believe he gave us the better chance at a win. I hope the same it not true this season, but unfortunately I don't think things are much different yet.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but... you been working out with him this offseason or something? Who the heck knows? As far as what he did or didn't do last year... What was he supposed to have been able to do? I'm not crowning him.. But geez. The drama.

18. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

If you went back and watched the UGA game it would give you hope. The main thing is Worley has not lost a game for us as a starter. They blew out AP and WKU as the should have. Oregon taking a massive dump on us was not surprising. Peterman started against FL, probably the worst game he had was South Alabama...not even going to defend that one. Then you have the UGA game which he threw 0 interceptions, ran the offense well, made some clutch throws in the 4th quarter to take the game to OT. USCe he had better stats than Shaw, once again took care of the ball 0 interceptions and we won the game. He was not the same after hitting his thumb on the guys helmet.

I just don't see how you can call him awful when we know he's is not and never will be a superstar QB slinging the ball for 400 yards a game and in the two biggest games of the season he has a combined 0 interceptions and should have come out 2-0 if not for the misfortune in OT against UGA. I just don't have a problem with him leading this offense with a lot more weapons around him. We had Cody Blanc out there playing meaningful snaps ffs.

19. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Actually I've been trying to forget the UGA game so much that I forgot we had the game won with 1:54 left to go in the 4th. Worley had the game won in regulation and our defense couldn't hold for 114 seconds.

20. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

Having better stats than Shaw means absolutely nothing to me. He didn't make any mistakes because they put a leash on him. You can't make many mistakes when your average yards per attempt is 5.3. The only reason we won that game is because North bailed his ass out with a miraculous catch. Watch the 2 previous throws. He damn near threw a pick-6 with one of his noodle-armed passes.

I call him awful because his talent level is on the same level as Rick Clausen. Are you gonna tell me that's not awful?

I'm not saying Dobbs is a superstar by any means, but he is obviously more talented. And at least he's a threat to run the ball, if nothing else.