Intolerance in the name of tolerance - Marquette Professor

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Mar 30, 2016.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...-fire-conservative-professor-political-views/

I feel like the overall theme in this situation is the norm these days. I'm asked, told, and expected to tolerate other peoples views, thoughts, and feelings even though that courtesy is rarely (if ever) reciprocated. I have no issue with tolerating others and their thoughts but people are failing to understand that tolerance is not agreement. We don't have to agree to tolerate one another. I'm noticing a trend lately that if someone disagrees with a progressive way of thinking then they're intolerant, racist, suffer from some kind of phobia, wrong, etc. It's getting rather old....

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know nothing of this case and haven't clicked the link yet. Are you telling me students can dictate the topics we discuss in class?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

And some facts have to be messed up. How is a teaching assistant junior faculty?

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I really don't know.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No. He's telling you that a student can't have an opinion that disagrees with that of the assistant.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How common is this? Seems like a radical. I doubt this kind of behavior is that prevalent.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whole thing's a cluster. TA was inappropriately personal, the university is wrong to be canning this other guy, at the same time this is a private institution so it isn't subject to the same considerations I am used to.

But I do think trying to legally monopolize marriage to heterosexuals is akin to racism. If someone doesn't believe in same sex marriage, don't have one.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Pretty damn prevalent at my alma mater

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't like the kids opinion, but a university can't tell him that he can't have it or can his religion.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I thought open discussion, arguing and defending positions was one of great things about higher education. If it's a crappy position/argument it will be torn apart in an open forum. It's how we learn.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My thoughts as well. Kind of like the 8th.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Your post underscores the point I was trying to make in the OP. Tolerance isn't good enough for some people. They want agreement and conformity.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

You're right, it should be. Clearly that's not always the case though.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, they shouldn't. This is odd that a Catholic school like Marquette would take this position, though.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't be so intolerant.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Haha, exactamundo.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Haha

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would be extremely taboo at any of the schools I've been around to talk to a student in such a direct and personal way on an opinion.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You guys need a room?

I'm tolerant all up in here.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jesuits. Catholic wildcards.