Iraq Battles Islamists in Saddam’s Hometown

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 12, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Imagine 6 plus months without electricity

2. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I'd wager 80% of the population would be dead, especially if the attack happened during the winter.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

We're talking dirty bombs here.

4. OrangeEmpire

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/06/world/meast/yemen-u-s-hostage-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[video]http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/12/06/bpr-sciutto-somers-hostage-killed-in-yemen.cnn.html[/video]

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

50 hostages being held at a cafe in Sydney. Supposedly by an islamic extremist.

6. OrangeEmpire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2878897/American-troops-battle-ISIS-time-attempted-attack-militants-Iraqi-base.html

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Right on cue. We've been gearing up for offensive action for months now...

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd rather it be written so that the DoD and military could propose various packages of engagements based on effectiveness vs risk and cost, rather than dictate to them what kind of operations to do.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but that's not good politics. we need new instances in which we can show our President pretending to sit in the war room and making real time tactical decisions. That's what we're paying Obama to do.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't need to see him and Hill-dawg watching a special forces team shoot a terrorist, or see a President landing on a carrier in a flight suit. The theater stuff and glorification of it all invites the quagmires we allegedly want to avoid. I just don't want this to be another "mission impossible" where we literally drop and burn billions and lose thousands of American and civilian lives without having any intention of actually affecting meaningful change.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

agreed. drop the politics. Make the military a tool of last resort, but be clear with everyone that if we have to resort, it will be ugly for everyone who doesn't agree with us.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Agreed.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. Make it a monster that no one wants to see unleashed. People ought to just be surrendering, not fighting. Just pouring out of cities and laying on the ground before the first jet or cruise missile even arrives.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

yes. no more limited war. If the guys in camo fatigues show up, it's on. Rules of engagement don't exist.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. You don't want to be there. Stick the kids on a cart with some supplies, and go camp in the hills. Don't be in town.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The only ROE would be "Weapons Free." Don't. Be. Around.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

When was the last formally declared war?

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Was the Iran-Iraq war a formal war? We all know WWII was the last US formal declaration, but I am not sure about other nations.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That should be how it is

20. JasonNorin

JasonNorin New Member

so, what would be the solution for the problem in Iraq? Executed Saddam and not, this..