Is Rick Barnes Committed to Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 2, 2017.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm just not buying it. He might fail but I don't think it's because he's lazy and semi-retired.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm not accusing him of something rare or strange. Most successful coaches get complacent and lazy as they get older. I just don't like hiring a guy whose already in the lazy stage of his career.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That was a really stupid thing for his assistant to say, because it's going to be the only thing people focus on if the team is losing.

I also don't think it's necessarily true.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think you're right on the first bit, but it's a self-inflicted wound.

I can't fathom why he'd not only say it, but then tried to rationalize it - live on the radio, during a formal interview - if it wasn't true.

And has Barnes ever corrected his statements? Legit question, because I haven't heard that he did.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I get the impression Barnes doesn't really give a shit what people think on the matter.

Or any matter, really.

6. Tenacious D

I think I've read the same.

It's his perogative. Jerry Green and a few others also got away with not caring what anyone thought, too, at least for awhile.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This wasn't a tournament team the first time the ball was tipped off. It wasn't really a tourney team when people were saying they're on the bubble.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. JohnnyQuickkick

Jerry Green has also won about what, 20% of the games Rick Barnes has.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Jerry Green also isn't anywhere near the coach Barnes is or was, trying or not.

10. Tenacious D

Jerry Green had been to back-to-back AA's when he told fans they could "go to Kmart" if they didn't like his coaching, IIRC. I think he was fired that same year.

It's his hand, and he can play it however he wants.

I think it's ok to expect your HBC to get out and recruit. Just as Calioari, Coach K, and Williams seem to have no problem doing - and they are each infinitely more successful coaches than Barnes will ever be. But that's just my opinion.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So if he isn't lazy or semi-retired, why do you think he doesn't go out recruiting?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm not sure it's necessarily true. Even if it is, while it's not a tactic I'd like for him to be taking, I doubt he's spending the time in his Winnebago at Elkmont

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not busting ass on the recruiting trail.

14. Tenacious D

Well, let's end any doubt which may remain:
    Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/tennes...ant-coach-responds-to-recruiting-49911949/Amp

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't think he wants to deal with the headaches of the one and done guys anymore.

I get what i think he's trying to do. And I expect this team to be much better next year.

16. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The new guy coming in from France looks to be a decent player. 6'6", long, athletic can play inside out. He'll be nice addition being that we're losing Hubbs.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I think you might see grant Williams at the 3 mauling guys inside, some, too, with the addition of a couple more big bodies.

18. Calculon

Calculon Member

Avery Johnson is committed to Tennessee basketball. Thanks for the W, AJ.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Atta boy, Rick.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We just lost to an awful UGA team.