It has been a wildly successful year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Nov 19, 2022.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

But man, I genuinely had forgotten how much worse losses are when you are contention for titles.

I expect next year to be a step back, but I’m excited to stress out with you guys again from 2024 onwards.

It’s a shame it couldn’t be this year. But for the first time in long time, I think glory is coming sooner rather than later.

Tar Volon likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Possibly. We could've easily lost three more games this year and I have yet to see Heupel take defense seriously enough to fully buy he's a championship coach. If teams can slow his offense, as has happened towards the end of this season, then he's going to be in a tough spot. I hope so, but I'm not 100% sold yet on the glory coming.

3. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Same to be honest.

I have enjoyed Heupel being here and minus tonight this year has been a blast.

But it's going to be really interesting to see how Heupel addresses the defensive issues from here going forward.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Kinda both?

This team was wildly ahead of schedule for a rebuild, and Heupel has shown he can coach an offense. The defense has some pretty glaring weaknesses, but they appeared to have taken a step forward in October, with only an amazing performance by a literal Heisman winner getting an opponent within three scores of us.

But the secondary has been a weakness for two years, and getting torched like that against an opponent with no ground threat at all is inexcusably bad. And the offense will be hard-pressed to hit this level again without some of the guys who will be leaving this year, no matter how good the recruiting is. So Heupel is going to have to find other ways to win games. And we’ve seen him make adjustments, so there’s cause for confidence. But you can’t watch this game and not see cause for concern. I don’t think we’re crashing and burning anytime soon, but I’m also not sure we’re on the verge of dethroning Georgia.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was down on us a good chunk of the year, but we just kept winning. Hard to know what to think now.

6. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I want to know what Heupel can do with some real talent. That’s when I will make my assessment on him.

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I don’t want another coaching change until it becomes 100% obvious it’s necessary.

This offense is too much fun. I don’t want to go back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust shit, and I don’t think there’s a coach out there running this offense better than Heupel who would take the job.

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

It’s easy to forget we literally kicked half the roster off the team over the Pruitt violations before Heupel even got to coach a game.

The rule change eliminating signing class limits for the next two years couldn’t have come at a better time. Time to eat in the portal.

9. juicemane

juicemane Member

Fun as hell season. Future is bright but Tim banks is not gonna get it done.

Beamer will put this score on his gravestone

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No way Heupel should be even considered to be on a hot seat. The offense has been legit this year, obviously. It's the other side of the ball which needs to be addressed and, if it isn't, may eventually be Heupel's undoing.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The September secondary felt like it was going to get us beat in a game we should win. It felt like we turned a corner in October, and…we regressed hard tonight.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  12. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

The difference right now between us and the teams we’re chasing is that there’s a lot more margin for error for teams like UGA and OSU because of how stacked they are top to bottom. If one guy gets hurt or doesn’t perform, they can just throw in the next 5 star and carry on.

When we have guys not performing, you get…well, that. I’m sure coaches would’ve loved to go scorched earth on that secondary and bench everyone…but someone has to play and after all these injuries there really isn’t much left after them.

13. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Put another way, a clunker for Georgia means barely escaping Missouri. A clunker for us is…well, that.

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I am pissed about losing to SoCar. That is a huge F on the the scorecard.

Huge F!!!

But you have to be realistic. We are not a top tier talented team. Our defense lacks talent, bodies, and depth. I think it was said long ago that this strategy would appear to underperform heavily when we lost and over perform when we won.

It will be interesting to see where we go from here. 3 wins to 7 wins to 10/11 wins. That’s a bit of improvement. But if you want program equity you MUST NOT lose to teams like Vandy, SoCar, KY, MissSt, Mizzou. Think historically. This loss, because of how big to how low of a program, might more than cancel out some big wins. For me, I would rather lose to Bama than SoCar. I understand the significance and it was awesome. But when you beat beat Bama and lose to SoCar it’s a hard hit. 1 step forward and 2 back.

Yeah a bunch of folks will disagree. But you MUST beat the bottom to build a program. Beat the bottom every time and then beat the top.

That’s just me. But we need lots of new Def players next year. We took a step forward. Cash the hell in. Get talent. And never get skull loved by Beamer again. Ever!

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

The loss [uck fay]ing sucks. Watching Hendon shred his knee is just gut-wrenching. That dude went through so much, just to have it all rugged at the finish line.

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I think we can still go to the Orange Bowl by beating Vandy. Would be our first major bowl in 23 years.

But can we do it with Milton and with the MASH unit the DB room has become?

Not to mention Vandy actually has something to play for besides spoiling it for us. They go to a bowl with a win.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  17. OneForVol

How much of this is the defense just simply out of gas? We had an early bye week which didn’t help. Gave up quite few points to a bad Mizzou offensive team and now tonight.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The defense just isn’t very good. It hasn’t been all season. We’ve gotten by because the offense has been unstoppable. They weren’t tonight. Add in the refs, and it’s a big L.

19. OneForVol

I know they haven’t been good this year, but in prior games they’ve at least been able to come up with a stop or two. They didn’t come up with shit tonight. They couldn’t even get to the QB tonight. They looked gassed.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Milton can get it done, can the defense make 3 stops? I don't know.