Jalen Hurd Draft story

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Feb 20, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/jale...8068979=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

He suffered a significant concussion against the Bulldogs and watched from the sideline under concussion protocol as quarterback Jacob Eason launched a 47-yard touchdown pass with 10 seconds remaining to put the Bulldogs ahead. Hurd wasn't part of UT's normal kickoff return team, but after Eason's TD throw, the desperation call from the Tennessee sideline was for a special return that allowed for pitchbacks -- a nod to Cal-Stanford lore -- for which Hurd was part of the personnel package.

It was a chance for a miracle win he didn't want to miss out on, and against protocol rules, Hurd grabbed his helmet and took the field.

He suffered a significant concussion against the Bulldogs and watched from the sideline under concussion protocol as quarterback Jacob Eason launched a 47-yard touchdown pass with 10 seconds remaining to put the Bulldogs ahead. Hurd wasn't part of UT's normal kickoff return team, but after Eason's TD throw, the desperation call from the Tennessee sideline was for a special return that allowed for pitchbacks -- a nod to Cal-Stanford lore -- for which Hurd was part of the personnel package.

It was a chance for a miracle win he didn't want to miss out on, and against protocol rules, Hurd grabbed his helmet and took the field.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"I just wanted to win," Hurd said. "I definitely wanted to be in on that play, but I wasn't supposed to do that. In concussion protocol, that's a big no-no."

It didn't go unnoticed by the UT coaching staff. After the game, Volunteers running backs coach Robert Gillespie admonished him for it, and minutes later, Hurd says he signed on for a ruse at Jones' behest. According to Hurd, Jones told him a public announcement of a lower-extremity injury would be in Hurd's best interest, because a concussion would be more of a red flag for NFL scouts. Hurd was fine with the suggestion, and Jones made the announcement at a post-game news conference. Jones called it an upper-body injury later in the week, but ultimately never addressed it with any public specificity.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That sounds about right. And it sounds like a child was coaching our football team.

A-Smith, PilotFlyingJ and IP like this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This story comes out prior to 2017 and our fan base is mostly calling Hurd a liar and still insisting that Jones is a saint.

JayVols, IP, justingroves and 2 others like this.
  5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Lines up with everything I was told by someone close to him.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think he made some mistakes, probably is more of a "me" player than he either realizes or lets on, but can't blame him for what he did either.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I thought the word was the staff played him intentionally with a concussion. Glad as a program that didnt happen,
    I wouldnt think hiding a concussion from doctors and nfl will do much for Butch's coaching future.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Exactly how I saw it and still do. There was no questioning his effort when he played. He could have laid down many times but he always brought it on the field. I'm sure he did and said some things that weren't healthy, but if the kid was lied to, I don't blame him for leaving.

Would have love to seen him have the chance to played for Pruitt though.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There’s 11 guys on the field. If one of them is Jalen Hurd, your concussed RB, you know it, and didn’t stop him.

His helmet should have been padlocked in a team box on the sideline.

JayVols, IP, NorrisAlan and 2 others like this.
  10. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

You are completely correct.

I have been a supporter of the Sports Med staff at UT as someone that is in the same field and as someone that learned my craft at UT. However, if this is true, it makes me really somewhat pissed off that they let this crap happen. You take the damn helmet away. It gets hidden or locked up somewhere so it can't be retrieved by a player or coach.

Now the Head AT of the department is the same, but the core football guys have been switched out under Pruitt. There was actually an uproar when Pruitt did that. In fact, the irony is that I can remember one of the staffers posting some shade on twitter about Pruitt not wanting players held out with concussions...

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Does anyone really find trumpet blower's role in this surprising? I'm still waiting for his dumbassery to mix in down in Tuscaloosa but Saban's probably too smart to allow him the ability to influence the players.

12. Ssmiff

Holy shit is this same XX that I drank with in Nashville?

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

No idea, I've drank with a lot of folks...particularly in Nashville. Probably not the XX your thinking of though...

I'm the only one from this site (and that other one) that I'm aware of though. Been on here for a while...

14. Ssmiff

Cool. Me, blupotato, 3* and Otter went to a preds game and drank pregame with a military guy from VN named xx a few years ago.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  15. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I've never met 3* but he seemed like a good guy. I hope he does well in life.

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

This account may be true, but I believe Hurd continued to play in the drive following his concussion. Seems like he got two or so snaps in.

A-Smith likes this.
  17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

When exactly do we believe he got concussed?

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Where you been?

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Can't believe some of you all wanted Hurd to go out there with a concussion and no helmet.

warhammer likes this.
  20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Working, kids, etc. Not as much free time these days! How's it going?