Jeff Gordon wins Brickyard 400

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Jul 27, 2014.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Winning his 5th Brickyard 400 puts Jeff Gordon in a tie with Michael Schumaker for most wins at Indy. Restarting on the outside of team mate Kasey Kahne with 20 laps to go, Gordon swept around the outside of the first turn to take and hold the lead to the checkered flag.

Also at the track it was announced that Karl Edwards will leave Raush/Fenway Racing.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Good for Gordon

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pretty terrible crowds these days for this race. Probably because of the track reconfiguration. They shouldn't have messed with it. Oh wait.

4 500s > 5 400s

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

One of the most boring races on the circuit will do that.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Find me a racetrack that seats more than 30K that's getting sold out these days and I'll find you a promoter that's lying his ass off. Racing just isn't what it used to be and NASCAR has itself to blame for quite a bit of that.

And if we're talking semantics, it should be 4 500s = 5 400s. Just sayin.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Crowd was anemic today. I would ponder why, but today's 40 laps or so was the most NASCAR I had watched in the last season and a half at least.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Winning the Brickyard 400 will never be as impressive or meaningful as winning the Indianapolis 500, so no, it's 4 500s > 5 400s.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Winning the 500 is more meaningful but I disagree on more impressive. Kurt Busch jumped in an open wheel at the 500 and finished 6th...don't know anyone that could do that in their first try in a Cup car.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

You don't think someone could jump in a Hendrick car, practice for two weeks and finish 6th in a race with 20 cars finishing?

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Not anyone from Indycar, F1 maybe but it's not like Kurt Busch is NASCAR's top guy either. 20 cars finishing only helps my argument, less depth, less impressive.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I agree with Dooz that a 500 win means more than a Brickyard 400. An extra 100 miles is one reason, and the 200+ mph laps is another. You miss your line by less than a foot and its "hello wall". The stock cars are much more forgiving. I also consider a F1 win at Indy less than a 500 win.

I for one was impressed with Kurt Busch at Indy, you don't see the reverse happening, Indy drivers to NASCAR lately have been a tremendous let down.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I respect Indy's history, but I wouldn't fork over money to watch a race there if the view of the track is as bad as I imagine it is.

I agree attendance is down across the board, but I suppose we'll never agree on why that is the case at Bristol. I know why I and about 100 other people haven't been in several years. That's being offered free tickets.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

More Indy car drivers have won NASCAB races than vice versa.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's not a bad as you imagine it is.

There's a multitude of reasons that NASCAB attendance is down. Track reconfigurations, or a lack ther of, is the least of those reasons.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Ticket prices is one for sure. Maybe we're looking at the same issue from different sides, but really aren't that far off because price is a factor for me as well. I won't pay $100 or more to watch a race at the current Bristol whereas I have before.

I agree another issue with Bristol is the inadequate lodging. When you can get a room, the hotels put at least a 3 night minimum on the room then charge 3-4 times the regular rate/night. Gas always spikes pretty sharply during race week too.

I can definitely see the lodging situation being a huge deterrent to those that travel to the race while the track changes would effect us locals more. I bet it would cost two people staying in a hotel well over $1k or probably more to attend the entire race weekend.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The price gouging is the biggest reason for the fall off. It's absurd the amount of cash required to go not just there, but to any race. Bristol really needs to get there shit together and start offering some of the incentives tracks like Atlanta offer.

As for Indy, 2008 coupled with the resurgence of the 500 have really hurt the 400.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

18. Yes it is.

19. Bristol should have never reconfigured the track. It used to be a boxing match.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Been there for both races. Enjoyed the NASCAR race more because I was more familiar with it, but the place with less than half full.