Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JT5, Feb 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Pretty much have to avoid twitter when the Knicks are playing now, just like when the Broncos were playing.

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

You're part asian so I would expect you to be ultra-defensive about this story. There is a reason ESPN has shown segments of a bunch of asian sports fans talking about or wearing Lin jerseys. ESPN must be racist for recognizing Lin is asian and showing only asian Lin fans in those segments.

People who try to pretend race plays no part in the hype are trying too hard and imo actually being racist themselves.

I know for a fact I'm more intrigued by the story cause he's asian. Would I still be intrigued if he wasn't? Yes because what he has done in a few games has been fun to watch - but not as intrigued if he were black. If that's racist for me to react that way - then hell yeah I'm racist and so are 75% of the Lin fans/followers.

It's reality whether you wanted to call it horseshit or not.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This should shut up all the idiots that said the folks that didn't like Tim Tebow felt that way because he is a Christian (and that persecution complex is still baffling to me). Guess what, I still can't stand Tebow, but I like Lin.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Lin, to me, is a lot more genuine than Tebow and doesn't push the Christian sensibilities in your face, which reflects my midwestern persona much more than the Southern evangelism of Tebow. I always get the sense that Tebow is seeking out the limelight and cameras, like the time he gave his teary-eyed "No one will work harder than me" speech. Not so with Lin. Plus, Lin is actually playing in a way in which he deserves credit.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

The difference between Tebow and Lin is Lin can actually play.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Big fan of Lin. He can worship whatever he wants.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Melo is going to take this ship straight into the ground...a right-wing, isolation player and a pick and roll guard aren't going to mesh very well.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I certainly think it'll be interesting to see how it works when Melo comes back. Melo's going to have to get himself better shots by moving without the ball rather than dominating it in iso plays.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I don't see him becoming Rip Hamilton and running off screens to get open...just don't see it. I think his ego is way too big. Can you imagine the backlash against Melo if they lose his first game back and Lin struggles because Melo jacks up 25 shots? Will be brutal.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yea, I don't either. But, I do expect him to alter his game to an extent for exactly the reason you mentioned in your last sentence. He's not oblivious to the fact that he'll be annihilated if he comes back and they start sucking because he's screwing up the offense.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think that's bullshit. The only people that insert his ethnicity as an issue are dipshits like Mayweather to try to invent some kind of controversy. It wouldn't matter if this kid was white, black, asian, etc.; his story is compelling, and he's putting up crazy numbers.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

His performance makes this story huge, but it's not as intriguing if Jeremy Lin is black.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Him being Asian plays a role into it. I believe I heard he was the first ever Asian American to play in the NBA.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would it be more intriguing if he was white?

Maybe, to some people.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think the story is as big to be honest.

16. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

yeah - slightly less than if he were asian - and if he were black even less intriguing. Defying stereotypes make stories bigger.

17. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

You allowed to think its bullshit and its wrong - but it is what it is and you can't ignore that a significant amount of the hype stems from his skin color.

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Jeremy Lin is Asian?

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Methodist.

IP likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he wasn't Asian, the Harvard angle would be played up twice as much.