Jeremy Pruitt on media availability to assistants

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 15, 2018.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

None of the assistants get much interview time. Here's why:

“Most everywhere that I’ve worked, it’s been that way,” Pruitt said. “And I appreciated it as an assistant coach, so I could work on the opponents and not come out here and hang out with you guys.”

“I think it’s important that when you’re talking, you want one message,” he said. “And when you have one message, at least you know what the message will actually be.”

From David Ubben at the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/473541/2018...-voice-policy-comes-with-plusses-and-minuses/

knoxvol likes this.
  2. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I always wondered why Saban and other coaches wouldn't let assistants talk to media, I just figured it was a superiority complex.

Those quotes make a lot of sense as to why they don't. Thanks for posting that.

InVolNerable and Memtownvol like this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's pretty good reasoning and I think I would love to be able to not talk to the Wes Ruckers of the world

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I prefer my boss to give the message rather than for all us underlings to try and give a coherent one over a dozen voices

Ssmiff likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Besides, there is only so many ways you can say "We are taking this one game at a time, our next opponent is going to be a hard out and we have to play perfect to beat them."

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is the thing you don't get much out of them anyway

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just to play devil's advocate:

Wouldn't more face time for assistants allow them to distinguish themselves as candidates for better jobs in the future?

I'm just trying to think of some reasons assistants may want to speak to media.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is Tinder, not a church social. No one gives a shit about what they sound like or how clever they speak.

9. NorrisAlan

Nah, I think Saban has enough of his guys out as HC's or Coordinators now that it is all about on the field success. I don't think media attention helps them at all.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The fact that other coaches want you is more important than your ability to say words. Butch Jones is an example.

11. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

It probably works in the assistants favor to where they don't say something stupid to rule them out of another job.

justingroves likes this.
  12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I can tell you that being an assistant and just getting to focus on the job at hand that particular week is tremendous. The outside distractions of being the head man takes a toll.

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Leave that role to fl0at_. You're not very good at it.

justingroves likes this.
  14. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I initially misread the word spectrum. Whew, now it makes much more sense.

NYY likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

He has been on both ends of the rectum as well.

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Knowing NYY reputation that is exactly where my mind went too.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But do they see it that way? We all know it would work in Sab's favor if Twitter just shut his account down completely, but does he see it that way? I guess I'm just pointing out that I think some assistants may not like it this way, even if everyone else knows it's for the best.

When we hired Dooley, people cited how well-spoken he was, talked about his law degree, and pointed out tons of shit that didn't really matter, like being HC and AD at his prior gig. I would agree that no one SHOULD give a shit about what a coach sounds like or how clever he speaks when considering hiring him, but I disagree with your statement that it's not considered.

If you're trying to get a head coaching gig, then other coaches wanting you doesn't really matter. You need AD's and other school officials to want you. Those people don't always judge solely based on on-field production.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy, you are arguing it backwards. Pointing to one well-spoken failure doesn't prove people care. Most would need to be well-spoken to support the argument people care. Instead, I get to point to orgeron, Muschamp, and Leach off the top of my head, and negate your argument completely.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Coaches know. Our input and media means little

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I’ve not been to the bottom. Can’t reach it.