Jerry Sandusky and the PSU scandal

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WM, Nov 5, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can't help but wonder if the GA kid wasn't told by someone "you've got a great career ahead of you and you can be a great coach, but if you tell a word of this to anyone else I promise you will never coach a day."

Not that it justifies or excuses anything, but I just wonder if there was a meeting where he was told as much.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It justifies an investigation into whether there were extortion tactics used to help a pedophile get away with raping kids. If this former GA gets leaned on and says something like that, shit just got even more worserest.

3. CardinalVol

The question has to be asked, IMO.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Wouldn't that be heresay, or something?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think that's the only logical reason he didn't speak out.

6. WM

WM Active Member

The timing of this is quite convenient. Obviously the investigation is catering around old man's life in how it proceeded. You can't tell me it's just a coincidence that the shit hit the fan a week after he breaks the record he has been selfishly chasing.
    It's clear this was all about protecting his legacy.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

more likely they told him they'd take care of him if he kept quiet. he's the guy who sends in the signals for the game. should be interesting if he's doing that against nebraska.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

People have been burned at the stake for less.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

JoePa could also try the Uncle Leo "I'm old, so it's OK" excuse he used when he was caught stealing.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

The fact that Paterno hasn't stepped down by now...makes me wish Bobby Bowden was still coaching. Worthy of a complete fall from grace without any argument. Paterno is way too bright to get a pass.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup a combination between kptvol's and i'm senile excuse. if he has half a brain he falls on his sword, talks about how horrible he feels, in my day this is how we did it, but it was wrong etc etc etc.

12. CardinalVol

Either way I think it's safe to say he was "encouraged" to keep his mouth shut.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That would be the smart thing.

He told the AD, like he should have done, so it's not like he just turned a blind eye.

He can still come out as looking like the grandpa that never changed with the times if he handles it correctly, not that it matters much.

14. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

as much influence as he has up there, it's hard to think that he wasn't part of the decision making process to keep things quiet ... in other words, if he wanted to do the right thing and go to the police, he would have been celebrated for it ... sandusky was retired in 2002 and the NC's were in the trophy case ...

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

All college football fans have an obligation to not let this just "cycle out of the news" without proper action taking place.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i hope when joepa dies that this goes in all of his obituaries.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

18. hatvol96

I'd have called 911, but the purpose would have been to get someone there to clean up what was left of Sandusky.

19. hatvol96

"Coach Paterno, are you aware of any staff anally raping young boys in the showers at Nebraska's football complex?"

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Of all the programs in the world not named Tennessee, I had the most respect and admiration for Paterno and Penn State. He -- like Bowden -- traveled all throughout the country playing games. If you asked, they were there.

This tarnishes all of that. It's shameful and awful, and everyone deserves their just desserts.