John Parker Wilson on Pruitt

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, May 4, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Honest question:

How many years / teams did Fulmer have the horses / schedule to play for, if not win a NC, and didn’t?

He gets immense credit for 98, and rightfully so....but that might not have been his best team, or the best chance he had to win the NC.

If true, then the full truth might be to say that he won one, but bungled others....perhaps one, a few or multiple.

95-96, 96-97, 99-00, 00-01 seem like good candidates for “misses”, purely off the top of my head.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

National championships are hard to win.

Unless you're Nick Saban and Alabama.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Spurrier was better than Fulmer. Fulmer did piss away a lot of talent, but in the end, Spurrier was just better than he was too.

What pisses me off is letting Richt come in and take over the SEC East while Spurrier moonlighted in Washington.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The only one that really ticks me off is 2001, even though a killer Miami team was waiting at the end of the road. There's no reason that team shouldn't have been in the Rose Bowl. 1995 was a really damn good one, too. That half in the rain in Gainesville hurt as much as anything in the Swamp.

5. chavisut

I still think we have the best chance against them in '01.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  6. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Difference is Florida’s QB play in 98 was atrocious.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Defense had a bit to do with that. However, they were missing the going down, off the wrong foot, wounded duck, bounced off a defender, caught for a conversion or touchdown plays.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Spurrier was certainly better, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have won one of those years.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We did beat him in one of those years listed.

justingroves likes this.
  10. kidbourbon

I should have been more specific. We should have beaten him in one of the Peyton years.

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

95 and 96

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The 99 team was loaded and failed to get to the SEC Championship game.

01 team was super loaded, too, and just failed against a backup QB in the SECCG.

After that, it was all meh.

IP likes this.
  13. chavisut

That '99 team was full of early draft picks.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

99 was an egregious waste of a roster

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't fault the '99 team on Fulmer because I was there on campus that year and they seriously gave two [uck fay]s about everything once the Florida game ended. Well, other than doing something about Alex Brown. At that point, it was all about draft status.

CardinalVol and justingroves like this.
  16. kidbourbon

One could reasonably fault Fulmer for that. Saban has about 10 guys every season that are going to be drafted in the upcoming draft, and he still manages to keep his teams focused.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Saban is himself insanely focused (one could even argue too much so [I wouldn't], as he nearly has a heart attack if there is a minor misstep in the final minute of a 49-3 victory in the midst of an undefeated season). Fulmer never had it like that and certainly didn't have anything close to that in the 2000s.

18. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Fulmer works like heck though.

Memtownvol and NYY like this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban, Osborne, Neyland and Bryant are the group that didn't get lazy after a few national championships.

Fulmer was a good, not great, coach

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

95 wasn't ready.

96 we didn't have the o line play.

97 should have been the year.

99 was a disaster

01 we don't win, but we should have been in rose bowl.