Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 27, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We can beat that number

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

But would we?

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I would do my dream job for considerably less money than a job I dilike.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's crazy considering how terrible he is as a commentator. i'm sure he has more money than he knows what to do with now. the question is whether he wants to go from working 30 hours a week 17 weeks a year to 80 hours a week 50 weeks a year.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We should. Depends on who does the hiring

6. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I remember Dan Patrick talking about Gruden possibly coming back to the NFL when a job he likes comes open. He said he was told Jon is done coaching.

7. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

honestly, i think he does.
    whether he truly wants to do it at tennessee or even the college level is a whole different question, IMO.
    he says tennessee is a "dream job".. does he say tennessee is HIS "dream job"? (honestly, I don't recall).

8. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I never thought much of Dan Patrick, myself.

I thought Gruden himself had said he definitely wanted to get back to coaching... but i'm willing to be wrong on that.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

He said it was a lot of people's, including his.

10. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

ok, thanks for the correction..

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I can promise you with 100% certainty that Jon Gruden is not finished coaching if the right gig comes open.

12. britt1974

britt1974 New Member

EXACTLY! Good point. I was open to it and giving him a shot because he's recruited really well. But he's in over his head. Two games we were up by 2 TD's and lose this year. And we have talent now! WE'RE THE FREAKING CUBS OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL! I can't take it. You make 7 figures per year so win! It's that simple.

13. britt1974

britt1974 New Member

EXACTLY! Good point. I was open to it and giving him a shot because he's recruited really well. But he's in over his head. Two games we were up by 2 TD's and lose this year. And we have talent now! WE'RE THE FREAKING CUBS OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL! I can't take it. You make 7 figures per year so win! It's that simple.

14. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

He probably could've had the 49rs job last year. That had to be a job he would want if he wanted back in the NFL.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He could've had it, but that wasn't one that he wanted.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No, it became his "dream job" somewhere between having politely declined any interest during his one phone call of inquiry with Dave Hart three years ago, and a month ago, when he made that comment on Feinbaum's show.

Source: Hart, Dave

17. Tenacious D

I'm not getting back into this shit - unlike Jones, I at least make an effort to learn from my mistakes - but it kills me when people say that Gruden is a pro-only coach, that he doesn't want to coach or would have taken any number of NFL gigs, or that he hasn't taken any job because he's perfectly happy being a broadcaster, etc. etc. etc.

As to his not taking an NFL job - when was the last time that an NFL team admitted to having offered the job to a coach, and was turned down? When was the last time that a coach admitted to being offered a job, after having turned it down?

Perhaps it is in error to assume that Jon hasn't been offered any number of NFL jobs, just because he hasn't accepted any. And stop with the "he's waiting on the right NFL job" because he's had offers from all but a handful, and turned them all down.

As to his deal with ESPN - pick your favorite thing in the world. Now, have someone pay you $6.5M a year to do just that - exactly what you most want to do for 90% of the time, and 10% of the time something that you're ok doing, but which is not perfectly ideal. Would you take that money, and do those things? Yeah, so would he.

And to ESPN's credit, they not only pay him handsomely, but have went to exceedingly greater lengths to give him the "feel" of actual coaching, with his film room, Gruden's QB Camp, etc. But even they know that it'a a poor substitute for what he really wants to do, an that's coach.

And as to the oft-cited nonsense about his never wanting to coach again, watch his interview with Bryant Gumbel of HBO's Real Sports' - I think it was about 2.5 years ago - when he asks him just that question. Watch it, and believe whatever comes out of his mouth. And watch his expression when he says it, for good measure.

18. Tenacious D

For those who can't find the video, here was his response when asked about coaching again:

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe every coaching job in the NFL has come open except the Patriots since he left Tampa Bay.

20. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Most people over 50 years old would probably not take that trade.

Really high level achievers, otoh, are different from the rest of us and money is usually not the prime motivator.