Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Or this:

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And let's be honest. While it's always about the money, you reach a certain level of money where $1m either way is no longer the swing factor in the decision.

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Noted. He must be waiting for a specific situation. REALLY specific.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I tend to agree with you. he's a work aholic. i'd take the easy money.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You and me both, brother.

6. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Me too. Every single time. Guys like this must not even want any free time.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Reading his book, you get the idea right away that he isn't like you or me.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Movers and shakers are not wired like the other 90% of the population. I cannot even fathom thinking like people like Gruden think.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's like 20 bucks to the rest of us.

I know one guy who's a retired multi millionaire who took a job for one dollar a year plus performance bonuses. Why? He was bored and it was a challenge.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

great coaches rarely are. that's why i'm shocked jimmy Johnson did it for so long. madden too.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3 steps ahead of everyone else

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

once you hit multigenerational money, which I'm sure he has, what's an extra couple of million to you? he'll be paid plenty at tenn. I very much doubt he turns the job down because of money.

13. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Exactly. And, even at the $10-12/hr level, research indicates that employee satisfaction with their work is a bigger motivator than another dollar or two in hourly wages.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Till Martin and Cheek are gone, I don't see Gruden coming here. They hate college athletics and football above all for what it represents, and they don't want someone like Gruden being the main show at Tennessee.

15. Tenacious D

Paying attention pays off.

But there's isn't the only egos in the way. On or off campus.

16. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Are you referring to the oil man who rips off his customers?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The split among the boosters is the biggest rift keeping him from here, but till they want to get over that Cheek and Martin will be able to pull this shit that they did to bring Butch here right before the Gruden deal went down.

18. Tenacious D

Any number of people can answer this.

In fact, your answer lies in having to ask the question.

19. Tenacious D

Yes. And Cheek has exploited the chasm about as well as one could conceive.

I imagine that many of the pure academians on UT's campus have FatHead posters of Cheek on the walls of their personal studies.

20. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

The more I read the last page and half of posts in this thread, the more I lean towards the idea that yes, I think Gruden would absolutely seriously consider coming here but only under the right conditions... and when DDIAPOS was busy getting thrown out the back door, we were about as far away from being "under the right conditions" as you could possibly get to entice Gruden to come here.

It's not that Gruden doesn't want it... it's more like he just didn't want it at that time, BECAUSE of the conditions.

He knew the state of the DDIAPOS team and knew how much it would take to get them back on track. Does Gruden really want to damage his reputation as a coach, trying to work his way through multiple sub-par seasons while rebuilding a team from basically Ground Zero? After 3 years and no NCs, this fan base would be calling for his head.. and there's no doubt that even Gruden would have had a shitty 3 or 4 first seasons trying to rebuild a MAC-level "talented" SEC team. So who the **** would want to put up with all that noise?

Not Gruden, for sure. But somebody like [itch bay] Jones would do that... recruiting machine that he is..

Nah.. you let somebody like [itch bay] Jones recruit his ass off for 3 or 4 years, get the program going in the right direction, and let him take the heat for sub-par performances on the field.

THEN you swoop in like the Angel of Mercy and lead the Big Orange back to the Promised Land.

..something like that.

If I dream reeeeal hard, I can see it formulating in my mind. Corch [itch bay] has this year at least... he'll end up with 7, maybe 8 wins which will get him to next year. Presuming the recruits stay on point, do we not have Gruden-excitement-level QBs committed and in place?

So, [itch bay] gets this year... then fired after the 2016 season.. Then the 4th trumpet blows, in marches a pale horse, and the name of its rider is Gruden.

BOOM.

then again.. maybe part of the "right conditions" is the school administration and stuff.