Jordan Peterson is my homeboy

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Mar 4, 2018.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of this guy until early today. The first I saw of him is the interview he did with Cathy Newman. I like this guy a lot. He is smart, measured, and thoughtful and I find myself continually nodding my head when I watch his vids.

The fact that this guy gets labeled as "alt-right" by some has been tremendously insightful in helping me understand the meaning and scope of the term.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/putting-monsterpaint-onjordan-peterson/550859/

This interview with Cathy Newman is wonderful. If I were teaching a college debate course and the topic of "strawman arguments and how to effectively respond to them" was on the syllabus, I wouldn't have to do any lesson planning for that particular class. Just play the entirety of that 30 minute interview -- which is linked in the above Atlantic article -- without comment and say class dismissed. Here is an 8 minute excerpt:

She tries so hard -- just actively actively hard -- to pin him to positions he doesn't hold.
    "So what you're saying then is..."
    "So you're saying that..."
    "So you believe that..."

He doesn't once take the bait or get flustered.
    "No, what I said is..."

That's just a comprehensive argumentative dismantling. But, really, she makes herself look bad. Anyway, that isn't the only video of his I watched, but it's a good one to start with.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

You should watch his interviews with Joe Rogan. They’re both close to 2.5-3 hours, but they’re fascinating and definitely worth it.

3. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I find him to be a poor man's Steven Pinker. Peterson tries too hard to tie morality to Christianity.

4. kidbourbon

I started watching that one, but then remembered I actually needed to get a focking shipload of work done today. I tagged several vids to watch later.

5. kidbourbon

His views on religion interest me nary a smidgeon. Those are the videos I'll skip over.

Not completely dissimilar to my view on Richard Dawkins, who I think is brilliant, and who I think should spend his time and resources doing something other than crusading for atheism. In other words, stick to science. Unless you have figured out a way to disprove the existence of a higher power, than kindly shut the funk up and get back to evolutionary biology and having sex with Mr. Garrison.

6. kidbourbon

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This guy just jumped up on my radar several months ago, too.

It's immensely helpful that he's a clinical psychologist, particularly in heated areas of debate, and such as he often finds himself in.

Not perfectly sure what to make of him, but if both Joe Rogan and Ben Shapiro seem to like and agree with you, then he may be onto something.

8. kidbourbon

Fixed

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I keep telling myself that Shapiro will run in 2020 or at least 2024, this is my hope anyway. Peterson is s brilliant man, I enjoy listening to his lectures.

10. Tenacious D

I'd be shocked if Shapiro ever ran for any office.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Donald Trump is president, nothing would shock me at this point.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree. Just another racist on a soap box.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't know about racist.

16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

He’s talked about it at length before. I think he’ll do it eventually. Now it probably won’t be anytime in the near future since he has young children and is making a shit ton of money, but I’d be very surprised if he never gives it a shot.

17. Tenacious D

18. kidbourbon

Good for Kanye.

I've heard kanye's new album is bad, btw. Like, real real bad. This wouldn't be shocking as his last one was also pretty much full=on bad. He was great for a while, but it appears he's lost the touch. Perhaps JP can inspire him.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hitch any wagon to Kanye with extreme caution. I think he's going through something and needs mental help. And I am not talking about politics

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The Kardashians are a mental disorder. Just ask Lamar Odom

NorrisAlan and IP like this.