Jordan/Pippen vs. James/Wade

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheGeneral, Feb 19, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not sure I buy that at all. First, Kobe's 6'6, and Jordan was 6'6; it's not like he's a midget. Kobe's high release point makes it easy for him to elevate and shoot over just about any defender at any time. And, he's not on the level with Jordan. Shaq won Kobe 3 titles and Kobe's got 2 by himself. Jordan has 6 by himself.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think that's a little unfair to Pip.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

just relaying the info i heard. I don't think that just looking at their height is a good way of refuting it though. The two measurements i listed were arm length and hand size. I know both of those are measured at the NFL combine, so I am sure they can be found somewhere online for bball players. Now if those are the same, the argument would not be a very good one, but i leave the burden of proof to you if you care enough to look for it.

4. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

What has lebron and wade done together? That will answer the question.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Two components that made Pippen so special.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kobe is a physical specimen for his position. Any talk to the contrary is ludicrous.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Truth

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Both Wade and Lebron are better basketball players than Scottie Pippen ever was on his best day.

Take that fwiw.

9. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I agree about Wade...he may be more talented, but Pippen was a better shooter, rebounder and defender. The latter two really aren't even up for debate.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

LeBron, certainly.

Flash is the better offensive player, but Pippen has a much bigger impact on the other end of the floor. Maybe my vision's blurred by sentimentality and nostalgia of the NBA of my childhood, but I don't see Wade as clear superior to Pip.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I wasn't slamming you, just that argument.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Pippen's nothing more than a decent to good player if Michael Jordan isn't on his team. Jordan put up his best numbers when Pip wasn't there. Pip was a crucial cog, but Jordan was the main guy, and that's really what I was meaning. Shaq was the main guy on the Lakers for 3 titles, and Jordan was the main guy for 6.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Wade's better than Pippen, and that's really not up for debate.

14. NashVol11

You can say that all you want, but it's debated all over the place. Without MJ, Pippen averaged 22 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals while shooting 49%. Wade is a better scorer, but Pippen is the better defender by far which IMO makes him a better compliment to the best player in the NBA. He can take a guy completely out of the game, like he did with Magic Johnson in Game 2 of the '91 Finals.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's not close. In Pippen's best season, he can't even come close to Wade's career averages. 26 pts, 6 rebounds, 6 assists for his career. Also, Wade literally put a team on his back and won a championship, something Pippen never did was never capable of doing. You also have to figure in that Jordan was at least his equal in perimeter defense, which made Pippen's job significantly easier.

16. NashVol11

Two of those three numbers are wrong. You really think Wade averages 6 rebounds when he's only topped 5.5 twice in 8 years?
    Wade did take over in the Finals, but he had a lot of help from maybe the greatest center of all time to even get there in the first place. Post-Shaq, they couldn't get past the first round.
    Pippen is a much better defender than Wade regardless of who's on his team. Arguably his best seasons defensively were without Jordan.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This is when you know you have a pathetic argument. When your argument devolves to "No, LawVol, Wade only averages 5.1 rebounds instead of 6, so Pippen's better", then you you come away with the conclusion that your argument sucks complete ass.

18. NashVol11

Actually, I'd say it's around the point where you start fudging the numbers to make yourself look better. Considering that I'm sure you learned basic rounding rules in elementary school, I'm fairly sure that was done on purpose.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Didn't fudge anything; I tried to recall it from memory, and damn, Wade only averages 25.4 ppg, 5.1 rebs, and 6.3 assists. So, I guess I was fudging the stats by posting low on his assists. That clearly just destroys argument...oh wait, it's just a pathetic way of VKAman to deflect the argument because he can't argue substance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Anyone who compares Lebron to Jordan - that is, outside of attempting to break the world's record for most absurd comparison - should be smacked in the mouth.

Not punched. Open-hand slapped.

And Kobe stacks up to MJ insofar as Kobe plays in the NBA and has won rings. But that's it. Until the NBA begins to track "raping" as a stat, Jordan is superior in every conceivable facet, both tangible and intangible.

And if you told MJ that Kobe had him beaten at that, global reports of a 6'6" rapist would soon abound.