Justin Hunter

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

To answer your questions kidbourbon, the harvested graft tissue band is stronger than the original ACL ligament. Furthermore, it is a very rare occurrence for the new graft to become dislodged before being fully healed. You most likely would see another ACL tear well before the graft comes loose before healing, especially in the patellar tendon harvesting technique.

**The patellar tendon attaches your kneecap(patella) to the shin(tibia). When that technique is used, approximately 25-35mm of bone on each side of the graft is also harvested to keep the "graft" intact to bone so that it doesn't have to form new attachments. When the tunnel is drilled for the graft to be inserted, usually a 10mm drill makes the path for the graft to go into. Then upon placement of the graft, a screw is placed at both points of attachment to put the bone into compression(or stress). According to Wolfe's Law in bone healing, bone under stress, will help facilitate the bone to fuse together. The screw serves as a fixation point to allow the bone to heal. The screws would be either titanium or bio-resorbable.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

3. kidbourbon

4. kidbourbon

So, even if float is technically correct in some sense, for all practical purposes -- i.e. likelihood of re-injury -- you are in fact correct? If we said that, would he disagree?

5. kidbourbon

...among other things. :)

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

KB, I am a fan. Very nice work.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is what I wanted. Interesting. I'll recant, then. You are indeed correct, the knee appears to be structurally stronger.

8. kidbourbon

Thanks.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Did they never correct the part about Tennessee playing Wyoming this year?

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So as a follow up question to this discussion, how effective do people think Hunter will be?

Is it possible that he looks like he did earlier this year? Or do we have to hope he's serviceable.

What concerns me is a big part of his game is based on speed. I'm not sure how much of that he will have regained by next year.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

the knee bone connected to the thigh bone....

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One problem is being in shape physically. He's had to sit for 6 months not doing anything other than rehab. It's going to take awhile for him to get back there, regardless of how good of an athlete he is.

I'm not worried about his speed. I'm worried he'll think before he cuts or jumps instead of just doing it. I still think he'll be one of the better WRs in college football, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him half a season to get really going.

Jamal Lewis tore his ACL and then went on to have the NFL career he had. Athletes come back from these types of injuries near 100% but it takes time.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He's sitting out spring practice, correct?

His status makes a huge difference in the passing attack next year. If he's like he was pre-injury, Tennessee may have one of the best in the country.

I feel like a %100 Hunter would be the difference between an offense that can win games and an offense that is serviceable, but not great.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Last I heard it was no contact and light drills for him during the spring.

With Da'Rick, a healthy Hunter and Bray, Tennessee has one of the best passing attacks in college football.

What's going to kill the offense is a non existent run game. That has to be fixed.