Kansas Postgame Discussion

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by lylsmorr, Nov 24, 2018.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

UT went one dimensional way too early. Williams ended up making some but when he went out the team lost any semblance of offense.

Bowden and Schofield probably had their worst overall performances in orange tonight.

Bone played well.

Turner was erratic.

Alexander got pushed around on defense. Showed some flashes early but faded quickly.

No sense in getting mad about that game. I think Kansas is a better team and UT scrapped a close game. Neither team really had a flow until about halfway through the first half.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Would have been nice for the tourney resume but in the end it's a pretty meaningless result

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Fire everybody and shut down the program.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Here's my concern. Since last season with this crew:

- We have the game against Villanova and fall apart to lose.

- We have the game against North Carolina and fall apart to lose.

- We have the game against Kansas and fall apart to lose.

Obviously, all are great teams. However, if we want to get to highest level, which this team can, then we have to close some of these games out. And, to be frank, Barnes was known for this at Texas. I saw a lack of confidence out there from a number of players. We need to know we can win these type of games and, hopefully, have that experience before we get into a tough Sweet 16 game.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Frankly I don't feel like UT has the guards to make a deep run. That didn't stop them from going to an SEC regular season title last year, though.

I don't believe there is a better 3/4 combination in the country than Schofield/Williams. That could work since they can work inside out.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If Bowden can't be counted on to give anything offensively, we are short in the guard area on offense and don't have enough shooters.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Think he played well in the first two games against lesser teams but today was awful. He looked like he hadn't touched a basketball in weeks.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I can’t figure out why he’s so reluctant to use timeouts when we go cold and the other team is making a big run. He does a pretty good job of getting us refocused when he does it, but he waits until we’ve watched a big lead completely vanish.

9. Ssmiff

That will always be questioned with him. Some of the best such as coach K try to let their leaders figure it out and play thru it. Sometimes it backfires.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Only watched second half, but

1. Schofield was off.

2. We need a backup plan when williams is out. IMO, schofield on the post is that answer.

3. Bone has got to calm this team down at times. I get pushing it, but sometimes just take the aor out and get a good look.

4. Role players have got to be confident enough to take and open shot when presented. Fulkie and Alexander MUST be able to hit an 8 to 10 footer.

11. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

It was pretty telling that in the late moments before Williams fouled out, Barnes had Pons in the game instead of Bowden. We need Bowden giving us some points to be we good as we want to be. If he could just get back to standing at the 3 point line and knocking down shots, it would help this team tremendously.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We are currently averaging 21 assist per game and are 6 in the nation for assist. Don't need outstanding guard play if we keep those numbers up.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I know very little about basketball, but I have heard this going on a decade now. Are guards that rare that we can never seem to get a quality guard?

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, we are getting a really damn good one next year in Josiah James.

15. Ssmiff

Bones stat line was very solid. Just harder for him to penetrate last night due to KS size helping.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

UT is every bit as good as Kansas. We had them by the throat when we continually ran the same set with Williams posting up on the low block and making plays. Refs were all-time bad last night and THAT was the difference in the game. I hope we see them in the tournament.

17. GahLee

He had a fantastic game.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Can't blame refs for everything last night. They were bad both ways. UT shot themselves in the foot numerous times.

19. GahLee

We have quality guards. Bone is a good player. Bowden looks lost now but he has the talent to be a quality player. Turner is literally hit or miss. Volume shooter who can change a game in about 4 or 5 minutes. Who he turns the game for is yet to be determined, however.

20. GahLee

Refs were terrible. I cannot recall how many walks they allowed Kansas to get away with. Late game they hit a huge 3 on the most blatant moving screen in basketball history. It was terrible. Two complete bulllshit calls on Grant changed the game. He stays in and we win the game. No doubt in my mind.

TBSVOL likes this.