Kenny Stabler dead

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He was shaped like a trash can.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I am ALL for the Vols becoming the biggest Heel in college sports. On the field, heels of course, I don't want to become Rapist U.

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, one of the all-time Raider greats! Along with Shell and Upshaw. Former Vol Mickey Marvin too. And others ... lots of talent. And that D ... forget about it! '73-'83 was a nice run.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

[video=youtube;5Y1SeAjv5ao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1SeAjv5ao[/video]

5. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes were the best combo corners the NFL has ever seen.

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Quite a tandem. Hayes covered head-to-toe in stick-um (sp?) He's the reason they did away w/ it

Willie Brown was special too

Tatum and Atkinson one of the best safety duo's in league history, imo

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's how you do radio

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Stabler is the only Super Bowl winning QB from the 70's not to be in the HOF. Time to fix that oversight.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

There are great calls. Then, there are epic calls like that.

10. hatvol96

I will admit I have an insanely pro Stabler slant. However, someone needs to explain to me how Namath is in the Hall of Fame and Snake isn't. Reeks of another anti Raider NFL conspiracy. F%*K Rozelle, Tagliabue, and Goodell.

11. NorrisAlan

Namath is in the HoF for one game, and one game only:

Super Bowl III.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup, throw in that new York media loved him and there you have it.

13. MWR

MWR Contributor

14. Low Country Vol

Stabler: 2,270-3,793 for 27,938 yards with 194 touchdowns and 222 interceptions. Had a passer rating of 75.3 and led 26 game-winning, fourth-quarter drives. 96-49-1 regular-season record as a starter and went 7-6 in the postseason. All decade team 1970s.

Namath: 1,886-3,762 for 27,663 yards with 173 touchdowns and 220 interceptions. Had a passer rating of 65.5 and led 16 game-winning, fourth-quarter drives. 62-63-4 regular-season record as a starter and went 2-1 in the postseason.

Each quarterback led his team to a Super Bowl victory, won his league's MVP or Player of the Year Award twice, had a cool nickname and made headlines off the field. They also played for the same college, and their pro careers overlapped by eight seasons.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

And if I were starting a team and had to choose between Stabler or Namath (even without benefit of hindsight) I'd go with Stabler. Every. Single. Time.

16. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

Seminal moment in the modern NFL. Single reason Namath is even in the Hall of Fame and not just some pretty good QB. And his Super Bowl III performance basically consisted of turning around hand handing the ball off to Snell. I personally do not think Namath belongs in the HoF, but the entire 68 Jet Team as a whole does deserve their own place in Canton.

17. Low Country Vol

Don Shula deserves the credit for the Jets winning that game not Namath.

18. NorrisAlan

True.

Namath was the face of the Jets and made The Guarantee. They lose that game and he is lost to history. And he doesn't belong in the HoF win or lose that game. I think he is the most overrated QB in history.

19. hatvol96

Namath also had the benefit of playing longer against the pre merger swiss cheese defenses most of the AFL fielded.

20. MWR

MWR Contributor

I seem to remember reading a John Madden quote about games back in the AFL days. He said that when the other team crossed midfield, they would go into their goal line defense.