Kentucky

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Oct 11, 2020.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

My thoughts on Kentucky -

BLUF - We beat them soundly because they're Kentucky and that's what we do.

Vols 34 - 17 or something around there.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

His head was everywhere but in the game

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'd like to know who the genius was that thought it was a good idea to move him to T right in the thick of the game.

Volokie likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Or keep a TE in to help. Its not like we are going to use any in between the hashes anyway in the passing game.

Volokie likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just go 6 olinemen

chavisut likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Why lie?"

7. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Hopefully, our staff learned a valuable lesson from the UGA game. Be prepared to adjust to adjustments 2nd half.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Guarantano got rattled. In his case, he needs to be pulled so he can settle down for a series or two, it's not normal for a qb, but JG isn't a normal QB

CitrusCo.Vol and Volokie like this.
  9. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Had it been my decision with a 21-17 lead in their house going into the 3rd quarter id’ve told Cheney and our o line guys we’re burning clock running the ball. Come 4th down punt and play defense. Every first down we can get beats UGA. We must have ball security, taking the game outta JG’s hands. Cheney be ready to adjust to what they change on defense. I never saw anything that’d lead me to believe Cheney did anything in the 2nd half to counter for what UGA was doing on defense. That said you might argue JG was unsupported and it directly contributed to the cascade offensive fail.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That doesn't work with a front as talented as UGA without a running QB.

TDVol1989, Memtownvol and IP like this.
  11. Ssmiff

i'm very tired of not having the ability to make consistent plays with the feet at qb. 3rd and 3 to 6 is a different ballgame and the defense has to defend everything sideline to sideline. Vs UT and JG, what does 3rd and 5 mean to you?
    A. Staredown slant, late.
    B. Staredown out at the stick, high
    C. Back shoulder at the stick.
    Thats all we have, outside of a couple decent long throws, but most are up for grabs, which is fine with me.
    A little harder to defend is:
    A. Rpo, cover slant, rb hitting the gap as they may go for 4th and short, and watch the qb keep.
    B. Slant
    C. Seam to TE. Curl to TE. In to TE
    D. Play action hard to TE over lbs heads
    E. QB draw. QB right. QB left.
    F. QB scramble and make a run or dump it late
    G. rollout either way, run or pass. Qb choice
    H. skinny post

I don't know why any coach would want to make it so easy on a defense as we do

Volokie and Memtownvol like this.
  12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Thing is, if we just run the ball and punt, we still have a chance to win in the 4th quarter, because we wouldn't have give UGA the ball 3 times with short fields and points off turnovers. But I get your point. You want to be able to keep scoring too but given UGAs offense, they weren't going to score many more points on us without us helping them out.

IP likes this.
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah but you don't get to call plays knowing you're going to fumble two times and throw an interception in a quarter.

I get what you all are saying but you're also not going to try to start running out the clock right after halftime either with a 4 point lead.

14. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I mean I wouldn't have started that at the beginning of the half. I'd been trying to figure out a way to get one more td on them, then sit on it.

15. Ssmiff

And if we are going to get the ball quick to somebody, get it to Velus, not Hyatt.
    Let Hyatt run deep routes right now where his speed in open can help spread the defense.
    We cannot seriously consider being good offensively if we dont use 10-30 yards off the los between the hashes in the passing game

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Guarantano completed a lot of passes over the middle in games 1 and 2c

17. Ssmiff

Against good teams we are scared to try. And you cant tell me we dont have a TE who can run decent and catch a ball in between or over lbs. Even if you hit it once when lbs are crashing to stop the run, itll be a big gain. We wont try it. I can hardly watch other teams as many continue to flow on offense like i wish we would.

Volokie likes this.
  18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Missing Alontae Taylor, but if we have to miss him, this is the game to do it.

This is a good opportunity to get some separation between us and the third tier of the SEC. We don’t need to be playing one-score games with the Kentuckys and South Carolinas of the world. Kentucky can absolutely make it ugly—we need to shut them down early, get out in front, and not let them breathe.

Volgrad98 likes this.
  19. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Alontae Taylor out today.

20. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

He’s been great against the run - and we have struggled to set the edge so that could be big.