Kinda slow in here hey look a Cuonzo article

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by dknash, Jul 17, 2014.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It was clear Parrish was fishing for Martin to say something incendiary. He didn't in my estimation.

Save one public "admonishment" to the fans -- and it was barely that -- Cuonzo behaved rather dignified to the end, despite plenty of opportunities to show himself. I've been told his wife didn't like it much here, and he wasn't interested in the rubber chicken circuit of the SEC... so the split will probably work for both the Martins and Tennessee. But I liked the guy a lot, wished he could have won some more games, and think Cal may be perfect for him and his family.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

All these articles are coming from somewhere. very much doubt we'd be seeing them if he wasn't a willing participant.

i think he'll do fine at cal, but i doubt he's going to take us to the promise land.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

yep. my problems with that article are 100% Gary Parrish contributions to it.

4. Eh, whatever, Hart upgraded from clown.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I hope Tyndall works out but it's hard to give Hart any credit. He did nothing to defuse the Bruce Pearl excitement and mishandled the hiring process for Cuonzo's replacement.

6. It's not Hart's job to clear things up for the delusional fans. He handled the hire perfectly, telling that other dude that we're not offering a Mike Hamilton contract.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Scuttlebutt has it that the media hates Tennessee. TIFWIW

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And made us look like asses even while retaining Martin.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It might be Hart's job, as director of the AD, to maybe once in awhile provide some direction.

Instead, he let our coach get pissed off to the point of leaving us for a lesser school, then conducted another wonderful public rejection tour before settling on some guy willing to go anywhere.

10. We upgraded coaches and I cannot care any less about Cuonzo's hurt feelings.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

If Hart deflects all of the speculation masterfully, then Cuonzo is still the coach, right? There was no way Hart could fire him (and on results he didn't deserve to be fired). He could lowball him out of the blue, but that would reflect poorly on the university and invite even more cries of racism ("bet they would have doubled Pearl's salary").

It seems that Hart used the petition and fan unrest as a lever to move Cuonzo from his position. After Cuonzo's interview with Marquette, the uneasy bargain of the extension fit into the larger picture rather than being an offensive strike by Hart. Cuonzo receives the message and flies by night to Cal. The fans become the scapegoat. Win/win/lose.

12. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

I hope boosters don't do what they did to Cuonzo. Refuse use of their planes for recruiting trips. That communicates a powerful message to leave and be gone. It will be interesting to see what he does in California's rich recruiting environment.

He's holds no vendetta against the UT or its personnel or people of the state. But you can bet there will be fans who will insist on disparaging him regardless. guy was a class act if nothing else. If you read the article without a biased mind, you can see he did a lot of things right, including keeping players out of trouble and mostly his player graduated. Not all but mostly. He doesn't talking about being hurt, just the culture facts of following Pearl who was loved by our fanbase and not without reason. But folks have a way of twisting things into something not even remotely resembling the truth. Been there myself.

New topic: Darn!!! I was really hoping we'd get McKnight. I think with him, we would stand a chance to stuff lizard tail down Florida's throat and feed John Calipari spaghetti and furball dinners. Might still do so but it would have been nice to have McKnight. I really think Donnie Ball is going to be fun.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Except odds were quite high he'd have still been our coach this season. So, if not for Cal making a foolish decision, Hart does nothing but help make a malcontent of an already average coach.

Just laughing at the idea that Hart somehow handled this well. He didn't even initiate the switch. If it were just about Hart, we'd be praying Josh Richardson turns into Michael Jordan so Cuonzo can sneak into the NIT in year four.

14. Again, I'm talking about the hiring process, which Hart handled very well. I don't care about the Clown's feelings or his choices, or what was the most contributing factor that led him to seek other jobs. Clownzo's words tell me he wanted out regardless of AD support. He hated it in Knoxville and the fans didn't support him. Those have nothing to do with Hart. But since you mention it, bravo to Hart if his lack of support did help run the Clown off.

15. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

If getting rejected publicly is your idea of "handled very well", than Hart did a masterful job in both the basketball and football hires.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This is great. Three mediocre seasons? Clown. Get publicly rejected numerous times on a nationwide tour of failure then hire the safe choice that was available at any point in a deal that took about ten minutes to negotiate... masterful.

Hart wouldn't run him off until fans showed up at his door ready to burn him at the stake. He learned nothing from Dooley and the football coaching search.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't you go dragging reality into this. There's no room for that shit here.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He inherits a nice team. He'll be good for at least a couple of years out of the gate.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

How does taking the arguably the second best basketball in the SEC and ending up choosing between Michael White and Donnie Tyndall constitute "handled the hire perfectly?"

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tyndall was the goal all along. Hart said so. He just contacted all those other guys first to make it more suspenseful.