Larry Fedora - Fates of Football and America Intertwined

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Football has been under attack a bit but America would be fine without it.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Larry Fedora is a dumbass. He plays basketball on grass

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Shit son, we haven’t had football for 10 years

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

More science, less emotion. And that goes both ways on football.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If it was really about safety, girls sports would be under the Barrel too.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My wife suffered two known concussions playing soccer. I don't see people raising hell about soccer.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes. Football is a violent sport. You will, regardless of how good you are, get hurt playing it. You use your head as a battering ram, bad things will happen to your head. You can't take the violence out of it, but you can teach people the proper way to tackle and you can develop helmets that help out with concussions. It's going on now.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

To be fair, I haven’t really heard many stories about former soccer players plagued by brain problems. Even if CTE has been found on the brain of former soccer players, it doesn’t seem to be a similar problem.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Soccer players aren't fed opiates to continue playing.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I honestly believe this is going to be what the main cause is. Concussions should be taken very seriously, because I thing long term it can lead to becoming punch drunk. But opiates combined with head trauma will be the ultimate causation.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I got at least one known concussion when I played soccer. You are absolutely correct, no one raises hell about soccer.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've had a couple, but they were both severe enough there's no way I could have played a sport anytime for several hours. Was dizzy and in a hell of a lot of pain.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's a lot less pressure to continue taking blows to the head after being concussed in soccer. There is not an expectation of playing through a head injury at all, imo. If you aren't healed, you don't go in, generally. In football, it's expected to play through pain.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  15. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Similar to Eric Lindros being shamed by management into going out there while he couldn't see straight

16. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

The War on Larry Fedora wages on, I guess.