Rise of Skywalker with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 14, 2017.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If you hate porgs, you also hate America, apple pie, puppies, and decency

emainvol likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also didn’t like how Leia survived the battle. Nothing had ever suggested she could do anything like that.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Didn't care for the 5-6 blatant comedy lines. Other than that I enjoyed it.

4. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

A little silly, but I enjoy how the movie pings at your nostalgia throughout. Luke walking through the Falcon. The kid pretending his broom is a light saber. Etc.

I get that Disney is probably watering down the story to fit the mainstream template, but it's still the most fun I've had at the movies in a while.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I enjoyed it. A legitimately well done movie. Some of these holes in the backstory need filling in badly though

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don’t think I just watched a Star Wars movie.

I saw some Guardians of the Galaxy, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter, Rogue One and all the previous Star Wars, with some Jurassic Park sound track.

Indy likes this.
  7. fl0at_

It was entertaining. Rogue One was better.

reVOLt, Indy and JudgmentVol like this.
  8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I think there’s a lot more good than bad, but I’m still extremely disappointed how they handled a lot of things. The entire Canto Bight sequence was a complete waste of time, as was Rose. Leia turning into Superman was a bit bizarre. I agree with Float, a lot of the time I couldn’t tell if I was watching a Guardians of the Galaxy or a SW movie. I will say the Rey/Ren fight with the Preatorian Guards was fantastic. Anytime Yoda shows up its a good thing.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Rogue One was a good movie. It stands by itself, you can go watch it and enjoy it.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is this one at least better than Force Awakens? I heard there was a lot of unfunny humor.

11. fl0at_

Attached Files:

A-Smith likes this.
  12. fl0at_

The biggest problem was that there were a lot of disjointed stories and things that didn’t tie together, and just some outright stupid things.

I think the storyboard said the resistance was betrayed, as the First Order fleet arrives while they are evacuating. Betrayed by?

The First Order arrives with several ships to destroy the base, and leave with several ships.

One of those many couldn’t get in front, of the slowly moving ship by jumping to light speed, turning around, and jumping in front?

They kept showing the beacon thing after it had been explained, and after the secret to tracking in hyperspace was found to be pretty ordinary. The hell for?

Luke’s pretty well abandoned island got heavily populated pretty quickly after Rey shot a bolt through the wall.

Rey put on some weight.

There were good scenes. There was no story. So entertaining, but not really a Star Wars movie.

Indy likes this.
  13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It says "exposed" not "betrayed"

I looked for that in my second watch

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. fl0at_

Ok, thought they might be trying to set up an episode 7.5.

A rogue one type movie, but from the perspective of the Empire/Sith/First Order.

Which would be pretty cool.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There are too many open plot holes in this series so far. Last Jedi had a lot of action and good scenes, but it feels like the story started in Force Awakens is still drifting aimlessly.

I can't believe Rey is a nobody with her having the flashback memory of some ship leaving Jakku.

Kylo Ren still feels like an overly emotional teen with the ability to control the force.

bostonvol likes this.
  16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

It’s like they completely ignored the force Awakens. Nothing about snoke and his backstory. Nothing about Ren’s training. Nothing about Rey and her parents.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The entire Canto Bight sequence was awful. It looked liked something out of the prequels. We only have 6 hours to find this mystical code breaker and save the resistance, but hey let’s spend time looking through mounted binoculars and talking about animal cruelty and how awful all these rich people are. Rose was a completely useless character and they clearly have no idea what to do with Finn.

Indy likes this.
  18. fl0at_

The story would have been better if Finn had said something a la Han: this is your fight, and I’m getting off this ship. And then he had stumbled into the tracker and code breaker, rather than FaceTiming Maz.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The only question answered was "what really went down with Ben Solo". It's been a while since I've watched the first movies. Did those movies give Palpatine's backstory?

20. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Palpatine gave a little back story to Anakin about how he killed his master.

We deserve to know the story of Snoke.

If Rey is a nobody and that’s the direction Disney takes this thing, that is disappointing. Star Wars has always been a Skywalker story.