Late Show

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m old as shit, and I really miss Dave Letterman. His Netflix specials are outstanding, but I miss the nightly show.

Fallon just isn’t funny to me, and he just tries too hard.

Colbert is probably the smartest of the lot, but he’s just so frequently over the top on Trump that he’s become utterly unwatchable.

Kimmel has good bits, but his interviews are wanting, and he’s just not a naturally funny guy, IMO.

I’ve recently started watching Conan, and like his wit and bits (the ones with his robotic producer are best). He’s a little spastically silly / plays to cheap laughs at times, but it’s not too distracting.

Jon Stewart should have gotten / taken either the Tonight Show or Late Show.

One of my favorite things about Letterman was his feud with Bryant Gumble when he hosted the Today Show.

2. Tenacious D

I forgot that Seth Meyers had a show. You guys think that’s a good thing?

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Used to really like Conan. Haven’t watched in many years, though. There for awhile he had like 10-15 jokes that he used literally every show and it started to get very, very old.

reVOLt likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He and Amy Poehler hosting Weekend Update should have been the end of SNL.

reVOLt likes this.
  5. Tenacious D

Meyers is desperately trying to fill the Stewart void, but he doesn’t come close to having the requisite chops to do it.

She’s overrated, too. Had Parks and Rec not brought secondary characters to the forefront, she was going to drive that show to cancellation by Season 3.

They are each excellent and smart writers, but that’s where they should have remained.

6. Tenacious D

And I hate Jay Leno with a white hot passion, on par with - and possibly exceeding - my total disdain for even Jimmy Buffett.

Hate, hate.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve never been able to keep going in Parks and Rec because of her

8. Tenacious D

Seasons 3-6 are the show’s sweet spot. It’s largely a boring mess in Seasons 1 & 2 (hence, they had to add Scott & Lowe in Season 3, and which really saved the show from an early cancellation, IMO). The series’ finish in Season 7 is a blatant cash-grab, and isn’t worth watching.

She’s a liability by the end of the next to last season, and her writing / role as the protagonist reflects this.

Nick Offerman carries that show, throughout, and is alone worth watching. Pratt is also excellent, but not nearly as involved. Adam Scott is also very good.

Aubrey Plaza is overrated and largely forgettable in her role, as is Aziz Ansari, Rashida Jones, and sadly, Rob Lowe. They’re each filler, at best.

Adding Billy Eichner to the cast might have been the worst decision in television since Warren replaced Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show. And while I like his “Man on the Street” bits....he tried to play a character in the same way, and it’s actually painful to watch.

After Ron Swanson (Offerman) & Andy Dwyer (Pratt)....the three next best but under-the-radar characters, and who are each criminally underused, IMO, are:

1. Jerry / Gary (he’s sneaky good, you have to watch him carefully)
    2. Jean-Ralphio
    3. Mona Lisa

Proof on #2 & 3:

9. Tenacious D

That I’m capable of writing such a lengthy summary of Parks & Rec is a little disappointing, tbh, but in my defense, I did have to look several of those facts up.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The British dude that does carpool karaoke I've see a couple of times, but I'm generally in bed before any of the late night shit is on anymore. I haven't watched SNL in years, and didn't laugh at it the last time I watched.

MWR likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd put Dr. Jamm over Mona Lisa.

To your point about Poehler, if you watch any of the little outtakes reels on youtube, you can see Nick Offerman and Chris Pratt goofing off in between takes and cracking everyone up, then Amy Poehler chimes in and everyone kind of looks down and clears their throats awkwardly, fun having been immediately ceased.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I want to like Colbert. I really do. I just wish he'd tone it down.

I find Fallon's best bits the funniest, but the rest is the mehest too.

I'm also in bed by 10pm most nights now, so my opinion carries very, very little weight.

justingroves likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How working people stay up to watch Late Night television is beyond me. I would be a damn zombie.

I like Colbert, he is very smart and because of my bias, the Trump stuff doesn't bother me. In fact, I find it humorous. I imagine people that love Trump has the same reaction to Colbert and others as my reaction is to Fox and Friends. I physically cannot watch it.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And then there is SNL.................which probably just needs to die at this point.

15. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Stopped watching Late shows when Letterman left. Letterman also had a good mix of musical guests and comedians. As for SNL, it's been years that I've watched that show. Anything recent that I've seen from SNL is what I stumble across on YouTube . Late night shows now suck IMO. Conan is decent to me on a good night.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Last time I watched SNL, Hans and Franz wanted to pump me up.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Now you have an actress dressed as Hillary, playing the piano and singing Hallelujah.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can't remember the last SNL I watched. It's probably been about 10 years because the last one I watched was crap.

reVOLt and kmf600 like this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i caught a couple of recent SNLs.... Weekend Update apparently doesn't even effort comedy any more, it's just rip Trump for however long it is

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

YouTube made SNL as a show obsolete.

NorrisAlan likes this.