Lenoir City School Prayer Halted

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yeah. Some folks need to remove the stick from their rectums. Let kids enjoy being kids. A Christian family can teach their kids the true meaning of Christmas and still enjoy Santa. They'll find out soon enough. I asked for a basketball goal one year from Santa. I had visions of being Magic, Bird, and Jabbar rolled into one player- I came crashing to earth quickly. Anyway, I found the goal in my grandparents' house that was unoccupied. I was devastated. I'm scarred to this day.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's not my question.

What % is based pre and post? 50/50? 90/10? What is it? A rough estimate is fine.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Patently unconstitutional and would never pass judicial scrutiny.

4. CardinalVol

Somehow I never found where my parents hid everything. Never really looked either. I suppose I was odd.

My wife teaches 4 year olds at church. Around Christmas two of the kids were talking about what Santa was going to bring them. One of the boys informed them there was no Santa. Needless to say, my wife and I are pro-Santa and if a situation like that happens, there will be a discussion with parents. Pretty much the rule we've decided on is the first time he asks us, we'll tell him the truth, but not until then. Quite frankly, it's pretty dang fun for parents too.

5. CardinalVol

Colorado SB 200 from 2008.

6. hatvol96

The very purpose of The Bill of Rights is to protect the interests of the individual against the preferences of the majority.

7. JayVols

I had a thought. Did you agree withe the athiest pinko commie school infestation? Lol.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not really sure, Cardinal. But, if you are trying to make a point that people primarily started challenging the constitution post 1960, I can assure that that's not true. From Marshall creating judicial review in Marbury v. Madison to the development of substantive due process to the New Deal Era, etc., there are tons and tons of critically important constitutional law cases that come prior to 1960.

9. hatvol96

A legislature is free to pass whatever they wish. If nobody challenges it, nothing happens. There's no way the judicial branch upholds that if brought before them.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Lol. I didn't see that part of your post.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly. I'm not sure how the Colorado law helps Cardinal's argument at all. It's blatantly unconstitutional.

12. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I'm pretty sure just because cases weren't brought before the Court or decided in the 1800's/early 1900's regarding slavery/rights of minorities doesn't mean that when the Court decided those cases they should have been invalid.

13. CardinalVol

The majority or the government?

The two are not exactly the same.

14. CardinalVol

I would just be interested to see the breakout, especially involving the first amendment.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Those pesky blacks have gotten wild in the last few years.

16. CardinalVol

I can't find an update on it. Probably because I am only halfway looking.

17. JayVols

Good form. I laughed.

18. hatvol96

The majority essentially picks the government. Also, if it's done on public property and involves the use of government dollars, it's most likely government conduct.

19. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

The break down would be irrelevant unless you also factored in how many cases the court took per year at that time compared to more recent time and how many of those type cases total were filed in lower courts. Just a quick search of WestLaw showed around a 66/33 split between post/pre 1960. However, that number in and of itself would be meaningless without going through every case to see exactly what the issues of the case were.

20. JayVols

I spit coke out of my nose on this one. Seriously. Dang you, sir. That burns.