Let's Talk Football Strategy... JayVols, Volst53, all comers

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If Alan Carson can play, we have our nose tackle.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Dan McCullers

3. joevol320

joevol320 New Member

we're not going to hire Green. i wouldn't worry.

4. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Historically, when moving away from the 4-3 it takes a half a season to learn any variation of the 3-4 or a "back heavy" defense. In all honesty Dooley doesn't have that luxury, especially with the built in 20 hour a week practice rule.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You better have a lot of 260 to 280 pound linebackers that can fill a gap and still be able to move for the SEC. The idea of these defenses is that finding 300 pound plus explosive players is hard, but athlitic ends are easier to find. So, you put them at linebacker.

You could be very multiple in your fronts with this package, but when it comes down to it you're still really running forty and fifty fronts out of it.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jacques Smith would be great as a 3-4 OLB. Jordan Williams has the measurables to be one too. What worries me is having the big bodies up front.

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Size, depth of speed and learning assignments make this nearly impossible to implement in the timeframe allotted without a few miracles.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's no way DD can expect it to work come September.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's no way DD can expect it to work come September.

10. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

2-4-5 is a nickel defense, when the opponents have 3 or 4 wr's on the field. This maximizes versatility with the lineman on the sidelines. The safety will often cover the fourth receiver, and a linebacker will cover the tight end or halfback, leaving three to patrol the middle of the field. This is good during the two minute drill or against a 1 dimensional passing team.

11. chavisut

So who plays where in Sal's 3-4?
    NT- McCullers,Couch, Carson, O'Brien, Hood
    DE- Sentimore, Walls, Miller, Saulsberry, Ayres, Taylor, Fowlkes, Jeffrey

Move Bohannon, Smith, and Williams to LB

Could Couch play a little of both?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  12. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

What about Couch?

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I will be interested to see how aggressive we are out of this. Going to require a ton of faith in the secondary though.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is Fowlkes still with the team?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think so

16. chavisut

I honestly wasn't sure when I listed him. Just checked the roster and he's still there although I'm not sure how up to date that is.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

McCullers at 6'6" 380lbs is a prototypical NT in the 3-4. Couch would be in there too. He could play the outside line position a bit. Your OLBs act as DE pretty much. So I don't see that big of an issue there since there's help on contain. Not that we had very good contain this year. Almost anything would be an improvement.

18. chavisut

Carson will be McCuller's Mini Me

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Looks like Jeffrey is gone though