Looking ahead...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by utvol0427, Mar 28, 2014.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

There are rumblings that Martin and the big money aren't happy. Is Martin on the sidelines next year?

Does Stokes return?

Can Richardson build on a strong tournament performance?

What kind of lineup are we putting on the floor?

What are realistic expectations?

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Stokes was coy on the subject post game, saying all the right things you would expect at this point.

Around Memphis, the word is that those close to him are saying he is gone.

I believe he is currently projected as a late 2nd rounder

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Martin is on the sidelines if he wants to be. After how close he was to jumping last year, I can't imagine Stokes is back, even if his draft prospects are iffy. Maybe if they're non-existent, but if there's any hope, he's not going to come back to see how he fares against triple-teams.

The backcourt could actually be intriguing with Thompson, Hubbs, and Richardson. But Moore and Reese will need to help inside, and Davis and the freshman posts will need to grow up quick.

4. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I can see it both ways for Stokes.

1) Why go into a loaded class?

2) What does coming back accomplish? Most of the big negatives on him probably do not resolve between this year and next year. Also, as TV mentioned, with some of the players TN loses, its possible he stock drops further bc the team is worse.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

On Stokes it's hard to say.
    He lacks some offensive skills that the league wants out of a PF. On defense he is a liability in the pick and roll.

If he gets good info that he ll be drafted for sure it's hard to tell him to come back.

If he did come back with Richardson, Moore, Thompson and Hubbs they could be decent.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

In my honestly ignorant opinion, I think he stands a better chance next year. He isn't going first round this year, and the risk of going in the second is greater than the risk of an injury playing college ball next year weighed against maybe cracking the 1st round off a strong season and in a weaker draft.

Just my ignorant opinion.

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Every time we have a debate like this with a player - it seems like they always end up leaving. Or maybe it only happened with Hopson.. just seems all too familiar.

8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I would think that he could probably obtain injury insurance that would be comparable to what he may make as a late 2nd rd draft pick...

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Every time I start caring about something UT related, what I want to happen never happens.

So I'll just not care, and if he comes back, cool.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Stokes could use a solid year of working on defending the P&R.

I could make an argument for him to stay, but I don't see it.

Wish he would. He'd be the biggest piece for the makings of a decent little team next year.

11. Stokes will leave, measure 6-6, then play in Crimea.

12. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

If he could be a tight end, he'd make more $$$

13. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Hubbs and Co said there are some NFL teams that have inquired as to his football interest

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Cash money. I hope this is the route he goes. Stay for one more year then go be a monster tight end in the nfl

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If Stokes came back we would have a formidable 5 to start. Depth is an issue.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Cofer, Cornish, Austin, Turman?

17. GahLee

Who? Who? Who? Who?

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Pretty sure they each take care of the depth you are talking about

19. GahLee

They've yet to play a minute. I didn't mean depth as in a warm body.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You don't know whether they will be just a warm body or not. Nor do we know if they can play and contribute next year. Gotta hope they do