LSU post game thread.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's just sad.

2. JayVols

You hear the caller from last week say that an Amber Alert had been issued on Brewer because he's been missing from the secondary all year?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He may actually make a tackle

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Are we on pace to have the fewest number of turnovers forced in UT history? We have 2, correct?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Connor Shaw with no Lattimore is still on schedule. Throw in Vandy, UK and mtsu and the turnovers will come

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I thought the defense played exceptionally well for 30 minuts. I thought Young was a huge improvement returning kicks, and we had a terrific blocked fg that didn't count.

This is who we are, at least for now. My biggest question is what genious decided that today was a good day to paint i-40 near oak ridge on gameday.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

My take.

1. DL took it to LSU's OL until it got tired.
    2. Front 7 as a group played good enough to beat a good team.
    3. OL. I expected our RBs to be dodging oncoming future NFL millionaires in the backfield most of the night. For a team that we have been screaming, why are we running the ball! We didn't run it enough tonite.
    4. Poole ran down hill tonight. Whats with playing top 5 D's that make him put up numbers?
    5. Devrin Young gives us a weapon in the kicking game. He still has those head shaking moments as well.
    7. Jim Chaney has a whole lot more confidence in Matt Simms, than I do.
    8. DBs - biggest disappointment of the night by far. We are either really behind in talent there or Coach Joseph needs to move on. I think its both, but they have enough talent there to play better than they are, they need to catch back up with the front 7. They can't cover, can't tackle, and take terrible angles. Not much else they can do bad.

After watching it live in person, we threw some good punches and got beat by a better fighter. We have an all SEC passing game sitting on the bench, if we can get the OL to be physical in the running game like they were tonight we have a SEC east winning offense next year.

On a brighter note. I got to meet Jayvols before the game, hopefully we can expand our 8th meetings next time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Poole does have an unbelievable knack for having big games against great defenses. I wish he could do it all the time.

9. Beechervol

We'll he should be solid next week too.

If we can figure out how to keep from passing the ball. We might loses 21-6.

10. JayVols

Good synopsis. It was a pleasure hanging with you. Too bad it didn't work out with Hat this game. I am working on the USCe game. We need a BIG get together if possible. Look forward to meeting more Maxim members in the future- good folks up in this mug.

11. Beechervol

Yeah, Id like to meet Hat. Need to run Justin down. I shouldn't have to drive into another time zone for that tho.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No need to drive 3 hrs to meet me.

13. Beechervol

No joke. We'll have to set that up at some point.

14. JayVols

Let's set something up for Labor Day next year. I am always in Nashville that weekend. I would like to meet Groves as well. We could catch the opener together.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Good write-up Beecher. I would disagree about the d-line, though. The difference was Jordan Jefferson and their scheme, not so much the d-line wearing down. UT did a very good job defending the middle but we can't get outside the tackles quick enough. It really concerns me.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I hope, though there wasn't a forced turnover against Buffalo either. The hallmark of Wilcox's defense last year was forcing turnovers. Not having JJ is part of the problem I suppose.

17. Beechervol

They didn't defend Jefferson and the option very well in the 3rd. The 4th they were out of gas.

LSUs first drive was a back breaker.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lathers can and Maggitt will once he stops thinking too much. McNeil has a starting spot if he stays committed to Tennessee.

Jacques Smith is being used to contain and he isn't very good at it.

19. Beechervol

LSU has busted some solid teams in the mouth with their running between the tackles all year. They didn't tonight, and had to run more stuff that got outside. I was impressed by our effort there. We still have a ways to go on D, but plugging the middle is a must. We did that pretty well tonight.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think it was a bright spot, but it appeared to me they sold out to stop the run, and did for the most part. QB pressure, contain, one-on-one coverage, tackling, alignment, speed, angles etc. where glaring issues that overshadowed the positives for me.