LWSVOL Is Calling Steele to Tennessee In the Next 24 Hours...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Jan 4, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Clearly Shannon has been pursued to some degree. There is just too much smoke. I'm thinking it didn't pan out.

2. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Rushing yards this year versus Clemson
    Wofford 272 yards
    Maryland 294 yards
    Enough said! Well,just for fun let's throw in that tremendous 9-36 record as head coach. 1-31 in the Big 12.
    Let's hope Steele remains in the powerhouse ACC conference.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Shannon and Dooley never seemed to make much sense to me. Like Weis and Muschamp. Why work for a guy whose resume pales in comparison to your own?

I have no problem with Steele. He's a solid coach, solid recruiter. Good enough to keep this thing from falling off a cliff, but don't know if he's someone who can ultimately save Dooley's job...and, in the end, that's probably best.

4. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I agree. But this is where I differ from some things stated on this board. Hart must step in and land Shannon if we can. I know if Dooley was a viable HC I would disagree myself. This is a patently bad choice to hire Steele over Shannon. If I was Hart I would call trusted other AD types and ask if I was crazy just to confirm my thought process then tell Dooley we cannot pass on Shannon. Hiring Steele is a very self serving move by Dooley two UT grads as coaches buys him points with Reds but does nothing to make us better. Jay Graham made sense this does not. Hire Shannon and I bet he can get Hobby for the right price if it means so much.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I really don't buy into the Dooley wants Steele, Hart wants Shannon theory, but if true, Dooley needs to grow a pair and tell Hart he can kiss it. I know that would make 98% of y'all bust your nut just because it meant Dooley left, but the bottom line is that right now, for good or bad, this is Dooley's team and they are his coaches. Dooley has final say as long as he is TCHFCATUTK. If Steele fails, it's just more fodder to get rid of Dooley at the end of next year. Regardless of Dooley's performance ability, there's no room for micromanaging from the AD here. As a friend of mine suggested, we aren't the Dallas Cowboys.

6. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

7. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

JT5's post does make me feel there is hope. But I feel this hire means Hart will give Dooley another year with 7-8 wins.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

This is all assuming Randy Shannon wants to be the DC at Tennessee. I'm not convinced that's ever been the case.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

7 might get him cut, but 8 probably means he returns in 2013 (likely without Bray) to coach for his job.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I tend to agree. At least, if I was Hart, I'd tell Dooley, "We're hiring someone better than Steele. Period. Quit hiring your [uck fay]ing coaches based on the ability for UT fans to recognize them on the damn VolWalk. Hire the best out there. If you don't think it's Shannon, then hire someone else, but it's for damn sure not Steele."

11. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

I am not real sure if you think Dooleys job is more to micromanage than Harts??????? Dooley is the ultimate micromanager, which is exactly why we are filling so many coaching positions during a losing season. When it comes to CDD, he needs to be micromanaged!

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

When was it ever reported that Dooley got in Wilcox's way on how he wanted to run defenses? He stepped in for the failing offense a couple of times supposedly. Dooley manages his coaches, Hart manages Dooley and the other HCs in men's athletics at UT. How hard is that to understand?

13. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

I can almost stomach an 8 win season to assure a 10-11 win season in 2 years.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If hart doesn't like who Dooley wants and it's that big of a split, fire dooley. I'm not a fan of the ad picking the staff of the coach. Its dooley's balls on the block. He should have the say in who he brings in to his staff.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dooley isn't back with 7 wins even if he hired the Baltimore Ravens as coaches.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think Hart should pick the coach, but with a coach like Dooley, I'd be for Hart having veto power on a potential coordinator hire.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't know much about LWS, but he seems adamant that Dooley will be safe with 7-5 next year. I find that very hard to believe.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I hope he's dead wrong, but he's normally not just pulling this stuff out of his ass.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Would I be the only one underwhelmed by this hire?

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

And we'll be playing at Oregon, Bama, and Florida.