Lyle more dangerous than Derek?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Butthole, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

The latter flamed out quickly and was disposed of accordingly. Lyle looks to be an 8-9 win coach. If that holds true, he'll be here for awhile and we'll never win anything of substance. Beat the non-conference cupcakes and SEC bottom feeders. Go to mid-level bowl and hype the next season. is this the future? are we trapped?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is kmf and mines fault. We are dolphins fans and we bring this level of mediocre limbo.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Very UGA-esk

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My only hope from last night is seeing Manning on the sidelines chewing the shit out of his fingernails. Of course, the VN types will hear him endorsing Lyle on camera and saying he is happy with the way things are going and think they have their man. But what else is Manning supposed to say publicly on national live television?

I cannot believe for a second he sees the product on the field and is happy with it. Not one bit. But perhaps I am placing my hope in something that will not ever come to fruition, and that is Manning riding into the sunset from Denver and right into Knoxville with his persona and money and kicking all the losers out of our AD.

But I can dream, dammit.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Manning chose to play for John Fox and thinks Fulmer and Dungy are as good as it gets.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Dan Campbell is turning this thing around

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Jones has been pretty successful and moving the goalpost and many dont mind.

8. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

You are being way too generous.

9. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

I can't quote exactly what Manning said, but he seemed to be pretty effusive for the scope of the question that was asked. He came across as being very pleased with Botch.

I sure would like to know what he really thinks. One of his friends needs to ask him and report.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Manning was asked what he thought about something regarding the University of Tennessee. He answered that he thought it was great and supported it a lot. It's the same answer he would have given had somebody asked him about the Denver Broncos, world peace, or chicken parm.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or Papa John's

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Or Nationwide

13. I cringed when he verbally supported Jones on air yesterday. I could literally see the VN mouth breathers running to their keyboards to glorify how much trust Manning has in Jones.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Our only hope:

1. He hires better coordinator(s) after (finally) realizing the one(s) we've got aren't gonna get it done.

2. He recruits so well that the talent eventually overcomes his ineptitude once or twice.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I have no idea how manning really feels, but it's impossible to imagine anything other than what he said in that setting

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't care how well you recruit, you aren't going to out-talent Florida, Georgia, and Alabama every year, plus whoever you draw among LSU, Auburn, and A&M. You might get one every now and then (see: Richt, Mark,) but you aren't going to win enough to take home a trophy being outclassed strategically from the sidelines. JMHO.

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Here's a little exchange I had over at the other place in the thread "Butch is Building Us a Championship Program":

Other guy: Butch is building a consistent 7-9 game winner a season.
    Me: So is that acceptable?
    Other guy: Yes, to most fans and the administration. Jones will be here as long as he wants if he's winning 8,9 wins.
    Me: Then what you're saying completely contradicts the OP's premise, the thread title at least. 8-9 wins a year is not a championship program.

Now I know it's just one poster's opinion, but I think this is how the majority of fans feel. They would be satisfied with 8-9 wins for the next 3-4 years. Unless something miraculous happens, we may be trapped with butch.

18. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

In addition to lower expectations, the mouth breathers are failing CFP math: you cannot be an 8-9 win program and all of the sudden trip over a perfect regular season, conference championship and two CFP wins.

19. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Yes, he has to be supportive of UT when he speaks publicly, regardless of how he feels about CBJ. But it seems like he could have just said, "I support Jones and what he is trying to accomplish" rather than laying it on as thick as he did. But maybe I'm reading too much into it, like the color of Gruden's tie.

20. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

I think that the large majority would be ecstatic about "winning the East," and would liken it to back to back NCs.