Making moonshine- can I do that?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 2, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have some for a rainy day.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. Dangerous stuff.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's hard to find a good moonshine maker, but it doesn't get any better when you find it.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sweet tea vodka can hurt you too

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Never had it. I'm a child of the Cold War. Vodka is too Communist for me.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It tastes just like sweet tea if you mix it with a lemon and a dash of real sweet tea.

7. JayVols

I'm a lot like Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty when it comes to sweet tea- minus the tupperware cup. I could see how trouble would be a distinct possibility.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

One of my labmates in grad school distilled his own vodka all the time. It is illegal, unless you are licensed (apparently there are micro-distilleries popping up). However, you would really be fine if you wanted to distill some. I've thought about doing some at home, but I am the most non-German German-thinking person I have ever encountered (i.e., I have a real need to follow the rules).

9. WM

WM Active Member

I use to brew beer in my basement when I was younger just to see what I could create and how well I progressed. It was fun, then responsibilities take over free time and you discover so many delicious craft beers for cheap at most package stores. It ends up becoming more a hassle than anything.
    As for liquor, I would be afraid I would poison myself or someone else. I have never had moonshine, all I wish for is to find a place in Michigan that carries Pappy Van Winkle whiskey.

10. JayVols

The head coach I worked for swears by that whiskey. Never had it myself. It's pricey isn't it?

11. WM

WM Active Member

You can get a 12 year from around 40-50 bucks on eBay. It's hard to find at liqour stores so I'm not sure the going retail rate. I halved a bottle in Florida with a friend over some holiday festivities. Best I have had, so smooth and tasty.

12. JayVols

His favorite as well, and he's pretty much a pro at alcohol.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Blueberries and strawberries floating around in a mason jar for a week or two in the fridge aren't bad either

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Theres a fella up the road here just got busted last year for making wine. IIRC it stated that you could make 1 gallon a year per legal drinkin age person in your household.

He had brewed up about 1000. And was gettin 20 dollars a jug for it.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

My stepdaddy still has a jug he bought when he was stationed at Ft. Campbell during Vietnam.

You could strip the paint off cars with it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ugh, I want to make shine so bad. Not to sell, just for personal consumption.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do it, but you'll end up selling it if start making high quality stuff.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just claim it's for research. You're a scientist for God's sake.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could argue I am trying to produce my own solvent...

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Say you are researching potential gasoline alternatives.

Use the episode of the Dukes of Hazard where Uncle Jesse's shine won a contest as motivation.