Mama's Boys Talkin' Cookin'

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Oct 18, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He set up at Casual Pint in town tonight. Philly cheese steak egg rolls still legit.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Haven't seen much of him lately

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What temp do you cook it at and do you crisp it after cooking? I’ve been meaning to try that soon.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I cook about 250, for about 2 to 3 hours. I take the skin off, not really good smoked. But they come out crispy on the outside, super juicy on the inside. I let them rest a little while then toss them in sweet bbq sauce. Freaking awesome

droski likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I did a butt the other day, I got an iGrill 2 with the ambient probe so it was the first tine I really knew my grill temp. It was all I could do to not eat the whole damn thing while I was pulling it

kmf600 likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I live near Martins, Judge Beans and Bbcutie so it hard for me not to just go get a family supper.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

@NYYVol has entered the thread.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I use a meater+, its 100× better than my old probe.

9. CardinalVol

So whats the best New York style deli in Knoxville?

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Any of you guys use a pellet grill much? I have always smoked on a WSM vertical/bullet smoker. I know you do t get a lot of smoke on a pellet grill - but I use my WSM vertical smoker only a few times a year now because I just don’t have the time. I know I’d get more use out of the pellet grill. But I also want to be able to do briskets, butts, etc. I’ve had folks tell me they do them and really like them. But I wonder if you really get much smoke. Anyone here used bullet smokers or offset smokers and pellet grills to help me understand if it’s work well enough?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Used to be a good kosher deli in the old city. But that was 20 years ago, doubt it is still there.

12. TennTradition

I’d love to get a good tuna melt on a bagel. There’s a Jewish deli in Cincinnati that makes an awesome one. Haven’t discovered that kind of food in the Houston area.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

After about 2 hours the meat is going to have absorbed all of the smoke it’s going to absorb. And then after that it is just about cooking to the desired temp.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

There isn’t one.

Best Bagels used to be solid, owners were from New York City. But they sold years ago and it’s just okay now.

15. TennTradition

Have you smoked on both? I get a good smoke flavor on my briskets on my WSM but lord it’s a lot of work.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Air fryer is our best purchase in awhile. Tenders, rallys fries, anytizers, catfish, burgers last night, bacon, okra so far.

17. CardinalVol

We just watched a episode of chopped where one of the guys was a kosher chef in NYC and that made me crave NYC deli food.

justingroves likes this.
  18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah. I’ve had in no particular order: a pellet, electric, gas and barrel smoker.

I’d say the electric smoker was the easiest to regulate but the texture and bark just wasn’t quite there. Smoke flavor was fine.

Gas is really hard to get the temp perfect because on mine it’s just a dial like on a grill, as opposed to a digital setting. If you can get a propane smoker with a digital control, I’d recommend one.

My pellet smoker, so I had the idea that I could take it camping with us, sit around the camp fire and smoke meat. I bought a portable one. Turns out it’s not as portable as I had hoped. It’s a pain in the ass to move around, it’s a little more awkward than I anticipated. I have taken it camping though and have enjoyed what I’ve smoked, a lot. It also burns a little hotter than I’d like so I don’t 100% trust the thermostat. If you read the various reviews, you’ll see people talk about the heat issues:

Green Mountain Davy Crockett Prime WiFi Control Portable Wood Pellet Grill

I should have just bought a larger one for the house. I could cook all my meat at home, since it’s easy to reheat meat at the campsite. And they’re only a few hundred more. That’s what I would buy right now if I could do it again. They smoke plenty. But that’s all okay. I’ve learned how to better cook on this one every time I get it out.

Barrel was obviously my favorite method but that was also when I had all day to sit at tailgate. We didn’t know what we were doing back then, but we had time to figure it out.

This summer I even did a pork butt sous vide. I finished one in the oven and the other in the gas, for two hours at 225ish. That was a pretty good result too.

19. TennTradition

So being someone who barrel smokes you are ok with flavor profile on a pellet? I know it won’t be the same but for ease I’ll take it as long as it’s still solid.

I’m building a space out back and want to put something along the lines of a recteq RT-590 back there.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Holy Land on Sutherland isn’t bad. It’s probably as close as you can get around here. But, as you know, Katz’s is one of the gold standards, and nobody is touching that shit in Knoxville.