POLITICS Marijuana Legalization Bill Passed in House

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Dec 5, 2020.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It comes down to how it's tested. I've not kept up with technology for drug testing in the past 15 years or so since I had involvement with it at work. Back then, it was difficult (if not impossible) to determine the difference between under the influence vs having taken it recently without adding prohibitive cost to the process. We always hated the fact that we would wind up firing or suspending an otherwise good employee for popping hot for pot. As safety people, it would be frustrating to see some ass continually violate rules for lockout or confined space or something keep getting slapped on the wrist or a finger wagging because he was a hard worker while some dude who might smoke a little on Friday night and piss hot on Tuesday while fully sober got a minimum 90-day suspension and loss of any seniority or such if he returned (~5% return rate).

SetVol13 likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

we will have to figure it out. this is already an issue with marijuana DUI.

SetVol13 likes this.
  3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, it's stupid. We'll allow someone to have a beer at work for a party, or at lunch, if with a client.

Hell, we'd just send you home, in an Uber, if we thought you were drunk.

But we'll fire a fool that got stoned last weekend.

warhammer likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

True. I hadn't given much thought to that, but it's eventually going to become completely necessary.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

We did alcohol screening as a part of pre-employment. It always surprised me how people would show up for a drug screen drunk. That got to be a problem as well after we got an update from our legal office one day that said we could no longer offer to call them a cab because we could be held responsible if there was an accident with the cab. We were supposed to contact a family member to come retrieve them. Of course that always went well. Most folks thankfully told us to F off and stormed out the door.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

what kind of job are they showing up drunk for?!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

US Senator

Auburn HFC Hiring Committee

warhammer likes this.
  8. fl0at_

All of them. In any job, someone has shown up drunk to the screen.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

wow.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Comstruction/maintenance. The local area was really booming. Two small natural gas power plants and another major project was all going on in Decatur, AL at that time. We were a maintenance outfit. Our big selling point was you didn't have to eat your sandwich on a pile of sand if you worked for us. Those construction jobs were paying $2-3 dollars an hour more than us, and we had some major projects going on a s well. We were scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. I remember one week we hired 5 people. Two included one of the general foreman's sons and his buddy as laborers. Neither had a lick of experience or were very mature. We hired one guy who looked at his phone all day texting. He didn't show up the third day and supposedly took another job he had been texting a buddy about just down the river. One guy got the shakes so bad the first day going through alcohol withdrawal that he almost passed out but left before the ambulance arrived. The remaining two stuck around for months. The first one left after his third suspicious injury. The first injury was overinflating a tire until in exploded while several people were yelling at him to stop. I forget the second, but the third had something to do with his back. He lay in the nurse's office for several minutes after asking for us to call a doc to prescribe his painkiller of choice. I had a desk there where I calibrated equipment and such before doing work in the field. The nurse got so fed up she left. I had too much work to do to leave, so I sat there getting equipment ready until his moans and groans turned to snores. After being told that the doc was too busy to see him that day (a gamble with some falsehood thrown in) and that the doc was unwilling to prescribe him medication without an exam (maybe a lie, but most likely not, we didn't ask), he felt good enough to get up and walk right out and quit yelling about hearing from his lawyer (we never did). The final one stuck with the project for way too long. He was a son of one of the corporate higher ups with an impressive resume. He also stayed suspiciously injured for weeks at a time. Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. You can get injuries from the things he claimed, but most people didn't. Come to find out, he had spent more time on restricted duty than not at almost every place he had worked with the company.

Turned out either the friend or the foreman's son was the best out of the bunch. I don't recall which, but the other wasn't a bad employee overall either. He just left a few weeks in. We had so many marginal to bad hires over that summer that you'd think we were the UT AD.

One really funny guy showed up for the drug screen drunk. I got called out to help with them when the folks might turn unruly. This guy didn't. He was loud. He was a bit angry. He was quite drunk, but he never got mean. He got famous for saying, "Alcohol test? What do you mean an alcohol test? I can't pass that. I've been fishing all day. I'm drunk. If I'd have known that, I could have showed up sober." Imagine a drunk, redneck, sunburned version of the comedian Carrot Top in cut off jeans and a torn auburn tee shirt, and you'll have the picture.

IP likes this.
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Supposedly one of the area managers at a retail place I worked showed up late, tipsy, and carrying a burger and fries to her interview at the store and got hired. Her being attractive probably helped a bit.

12. chef65

chef65 Contributor

If these screenings were scientific measures of blood alcohol content as opposed to field sobriety tests, it’s easy to imagine functioning alcoholics appearing normal but failing as a result of tolerance.

IP likes this.
  13. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I like to think of myself as unbiased and egalitarian, as aware of the influences that evolution and biology have on my behavior and the need to counter those forces. But I’ve yet to live up to my ideals.

warhammer likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I underestimate how lucky I am to not know this stuff. I have been around alcoholic, but they were functioning enough to dry out for stuff.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Glad to see you back, Tenny.

utvol0427 and SetVol13 like this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

No shit. I thought the same thing after I posted it except I was interested in it.

SetVol13, NYY and IP like this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There were plenty of guys who worked there that hit it hard practically every evening. I was young, fresh out of college, and I couldn't keep up with them.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

LOL

19. fl0at_

South Dakota passed medical and recreational marijuana by referendum. The governor took it to court and the courts decided that even though the voters voted for it, the recreational referendum wasn't legal.

The illusion that voting matters is really taking some hits this year.

IP likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wonder what they'll say when it becomes federally legal in the next 18 months?