Maryville's Quarles Leaves for Furman OC

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I was one of those who had begun to wonder if he'd ever be lured away, as he's turned down a bevy of bigger jobs before. But being a Furman alum, helping them win a NC in 1988, and his former college roommate getting the HC gig proved too enticing, I suppose. Card will need to weigh in, but I'm sure that Maryville has almost certainly been grooming a successor, while awaiting this day, and I wouldn't expect the Rebel program to take a step back in his absence.

But it's going to be hard for anyone to replicate the kind of consistently high success which he had at Maryville:

Link: http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...h-george-quarles-accepts-furman-job/95654894/

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know a lot of success gets the credit for Blount county all star team, but that's generally just sour grapes. He's a hell of a coach that built an unbelievable culture there, and adjusted to his talent as good as anyone in the business.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Obviously has a sucky system.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Will be some interesting names to apply.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Throw your name in.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Fulmer.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do you think they'll stay in house?

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good chance.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If they'd open it up, they'll get some really impressive names.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Wouldn't hire me. I know card.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll be surprised if derek hunt isn't the next head coach. Former GQ quarterback and been on staff for a long time. Many say he reminds them of GQ when he was younger.

Few folks think derek rang, formerly at Powell and won 1A at dresden this year, may get a look.

Freshman class is loaded and the 7th grade group is too.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Watch Rosser and maybe Shawn Witten as a name that's outside the box.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

But I'd be shocked if not Hunt, too.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Rosser as in Central's coach?

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes. Helluva coach.

16. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

I'm biased, but I'm rooting for Rang. He started out at AC when I was still attending high school. We played in the same fantasy baseball league.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wonder if the twins will gage any interest

18. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

They've done extremely well with less than average, that's for sure.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Rosser is a damn good coach, but from what I hear, it's hunts if he wants it and I have zero reason to think he doesn't.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He's good, but still got some improving to do. At times, his play calling makes Debord look like an offensive savant and there are some other things he does that need to be corrected that I'm not going to get into on here (shoot me a PM if you're interested). All that said, he made a helluva run to state, but on the flip side he was three plays away from finishing the season 5-5. He doesn't seem like a guy that Maryville would be happy with following Quarles.