Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jewbaccah, Nov 28, 2011.

1. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Havent gotten to the end yet, thank God. Do they have a date they plan on rolling out the alternate ending DLC and have they decided on charging for it or not?

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

anyone played the "from ashes" DLC? I don't wanna purchase it, but the idea of having a Prothean in my squad is hard to pass up...

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are a lot of youtube videos up show its content. Looks solid... I just hate to buy release day DLC. I would have bought the collector's edition if I could for 70 bucks anyway, I suppose... I dunno. I'm still not done playing through ME2 again, so I am not worried about it yet.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You've played 3 though, right? Is it hard to go back from 3 to 2? I know a lot of people said it was difficult to play 1 again after playing 2.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

2 and 3 blend together almost seemlessly. You have to adjust back to not being able to roll, but otherwise most of the mechanics are the same. Not hard to get use to carrying heavy weapons again, for example. In some ways, ME2 may be the best all-around of the series. Number 2 in story, but number 1 in gameplay and tied with ME3 in terms of visuals and graphics. Kind of disappointed in turned out that way. Was hoping number 3 would have the best story.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Confusing

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying if I rated each of the 3 in three categories of story, graphics, and gameplay, it would look like this:

ME1: 1, 3, 3

ME2: 2, t1, 1

ME3: 3, t1, 2

Meta-rating would be:

ME1: 2.33

ME2: 1.33

ME3: 2

I feel ME1 gets the benefit of the doubt given that it is 5 years old now as well.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, that is probably still confusing.

9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Overall I would rank them 2, 3, then 1 IMO.

I'm still dissapointed in the way 3 turned out. It was still a good game, but the ending took away too much for me personally. I honestly may have have given it a 10/10 if it hadn't crashed and burned in the last 15 minutes.

The "From Ashes" DLC is solid. I bought the special edition so it came with it. It gives a little more insight into what the Protheans went through in their fall against the Reapers in the last cycle and the extra mission by itself is pretty fun. I'm not necessarily a fan of day 1 extra content, but it's worth the money IMO, especially if you like backstory.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thanks, Duck. I'll probably end up buying it here in a couple of weeks when I get back to 3.

The more I think about it lately, maybe the endings weren't too awful. They were bad, but we all had really high expectations. I just could have done with a bit more quality in the writing, at least.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Brain just liquefied. Who's on first?

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Im probably gonna buy the DLC.

Thus far, i think 3 has the best story of any of them. The story in 2 was good, IMO, but it just didn't do it for me. Somehow, the fight against the collectors doesn't seem nearly as epic as the fight against the entire reaper fleet. Then again, I haven't reached the ending yet. One of the main things I like about 3 is how it brings back old characters and kills people off before the final mission. Stories like this are just too unbelievable if people don't die in battle (I don't really count Kaiden/Ashley dying on Virmire because it's just a decision you make). I like how people die or sacrifice themselves in this one. Makes it more believable.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

When are we going to hear details about upcoming DLC? Very eager to get some indication of how they're handling that.

14. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I have stopped playing before I finish it and will wait on the alternate ending so I am not as disappointed as some of you who have finished it.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What's the point of that? you may like the ending.

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

nah......Ive read too much from other people who have tremendously hated the original ending.

17. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Somewhat confused about what Bioware plans to do about "fixing" the ending. Do they plan on re-writing that portion of the game entirely? Or will they just make another DLC that attempts to continue where you left off in the game (ala FAllout 3 style) where they explain that Shephard somehow survives and is not finished with his mission as Bioware attempts for a second time to tie everything up in the story arc in a nice big bow again? Personally i'm hoping for the later.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ought to just run with "it's just a dream"/indoctrination theory, even though I'm skeptical that it was intentional.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not to the end yet, and I don't want you guys to tell me what happens, but I wouldn't be upset if they fall short and all tragically die as the reapers take over. It seems realistic.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The ending is not just bad for the story line being absolutely ridiculous it was bad gameplay as well. The game is so good. I cannot think of any other game that was made so well and has such a totally awful ending. I guess this makes them original.