POLITICS Mattis

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Fair.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Says the guy who left and came back under an alias.

Fuh. King. Rich.

4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Looks like the short list is Jim Webb, Tom Cotton, Jim Talent, and Mike Pompeo.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I can’t keep up with all of the posters here under new aliases anymore.

IP likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Unless you are him, it is poor form to label his personal business. To my knowledge, he's never made any such identification. Rather, he is devoutly catholic and I believe he even proposed to a woman.

2. Even if he were, only a fool would see such a thing as disqualifying or at all relevant.

3. He has served his whole life, the GOP would be honored and lucky if chose to run.

emainvol, NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I dunno anything about his sexual orientation and never seriously pondered it, but the GOP is pretty stupid.

8. JayVols

Brett McGurk, the US special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, submitted his resignation Friday following Mattis's resignation. He too resigned in protest of Trump's snap withdrawal of US forces in Syria. Turns out 2 or 3 days prior to the tweet announcement, Mr. McGurk was meeting with friendlies is Syria reassuring them that we were in it for the long haul with them. Can't say that I blame him for resigning after that.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Guys. This is a politics thread. Do we have to move this to the thunderdome?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I want to know what really led to this decision.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Wasn't he set to leave in February and was also appointed by Obama? Kind of sounds like he is trying to get some attention. I do agree with him leaving because it was a mistake to pull out of Syria but I think he might be doing this to look like a tough guy. Jmo

12. JayVols

I don't know who appointed him, but I have read that he was leaving in Feb.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't blame him at all for leaving early I just felt like it was done a little for show.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What makes you think it was for show? Specifically.

15. JayVols

I'm sure it was. He was leaving anyway, and was hoping that his early departure would shine a light on just how weak & impulsive the whole situation is.

It was a show to unmask the idiocy of the process, or lack thereof, that was used to make this decision which was ignoring points handed to him by his universally respected Defense Secretary, et al, and quickly caving to a thug autocrat's threats & demands to get out of the way because Erdogan & Turkey are going after a group who has been invaluable to the US operations against ISIS in Syria, the Kurds, with or without the US being in the way. He wanted to broadcast, loudly and clearly, the fact that Trump withered under the threat of said autocrat who is supposed to be an ally.

16. JayVols

Just read that in typical Trump tantrum style, that he is forcing Mattis out in days. Rather than letting him stay through February, Trump is mad at the universally negative coverage the Mattis resignation has been getting, so he throws a tantrum & says he's gone by January 1.

He's a petulant, spoiled toddler.

EDIT: Mattis is being replaced by a businessman. No surprise here. Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan, a former Boeing executive, is taking over. We lose the preemminent warrior of our time & get a businessman who has never served in the military to replace him. This could be seen coming from miles away.

17. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

FWIW, defense secretary ash carter, appointed by obama, never served a day in the military either.

zehr27 and NYY like this.
  18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Oh the outrage!!!!

zehr27 likes this.
  19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And wasn’t there a lot of complaints that we weren’t doing enough militarily at the time?

JayVols likes this.
  20. JayVols

I wasn't implying military service was required. Just saying we went from one of the greatest military minds of our time to no experience at all. My point was to point out the contrast which has been the pattern, Gen. McMaster to John Bolton & Nikki Haley to Heather Nauert being others.