POLITICS Meet Communist Chy-Na

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I disagree here.

technology and automation will be a game changer on that and it’s looking like we’ll lose our reserve currency status.

I think globalization will trend down and will become more regional and local as technology will allow it more easily

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Automation will still require the resources. The only way to get those resources is globally. I don't think technology, automation and reduction in globalization go hand in hand.

And automation is going to break us, if we're not ready for it, and right now... we're not ready for it.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

see I think that’s why they want taiwan so bad to get the strong hold on the major chip producer for the world.

We will will need raw materials still but that will never change, but being the strong hold on cheap labor won’t pay off for China like it has for the last 50 years unless they to hold the keys to those raw materials or microchips

4. fl0at_

Chips wars won't last forever. I think China got ahead of the world in labor. I think they've gotten ahead of the world in microchips. And I think they'll get ahead of the world in other resources. And they don't want open warfare, they just want to control trade.

5. chef65

chef65 Contributor

ESPN can f off calling Taiwan “Chinese Taipei” in Williamsport.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I looked this up, and if it is referring to the Olympics in anyway, that is what they compete under, not Taiwan. Been this way for 45+ years.

However, ESPN can still [uck fay] off and so can China.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

China women's tennis star accuses high ranking party official of sexual assault. Tennis star disappears. Reference to tennis star's existence scrubbed from internet in China. Women's Tennis Association demands to know where she is and if she is okay. Mysterious email allegedly from tennis star says everything is fine, and oh by the way she recants her earlier accusation. Women's Tennis Association threatening to cancel 1 billion dollar deal and a bunch of tournaments in China, walking away completely.

Creepy stuff.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

GOOD

I hope it is more than a threat. Time to ghost China and tell them to [uck fay] right off.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hell, even if you're building your own the parts aren't made here

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

We HAVE to fix that. We need to have manufacturing capacity here for everything that matters. Doesn't all have to be made domestically, but some percentage so there is something to scale up. Anything that can be made in China could be made in the US, Mexico, Canada, or Caribbean.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The politicians and fed in the 70's sacrificed our manufacturing base to maintain the American Empire.

It's going to be hard to fix a lot of these long term issues.

People keep saying this inflation is like the 70's but it's more like the 40's. The problem is that we're now the UK of the 40's

Joseph Brant likes this.
  12. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Yeah I’m too much of an idealist. I imagine someone in power who cares about something other than power.

13. chef65

chef65 Contributor

That’s cute thinking you can change people’s priorities.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

thanks!

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Enes Kanter ain't [uck fay]ing around.

16. fl0at_

This will be interesting. All those who wanted athletes to just play their sport will now have to decide if they want athletes to just play their sport... or take a stance.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know how many "just play your sport" people are really out there. I haven't been a fan of LeBron's approach to social justice in a lot of ways, but my stance has never been "just play your sport." If you're going to speak out about social justice, like LBJ has, you need to at least be informed if anyone's going to take you seriously. I'd also like to see some consistency.

LeBron's case, in particular, is unique. He's obviously got the incredibly massive platform, so his reach is far greater than most athletes. That gives him additional responsibility, imo.

He has a tendency, imo, to make untrue and not well thought out statements. The "we are literally hunted every day" tweet was just not true, and the tweet calling out the police officer who shot Ma'Khia Bryant was not very well thought out (though he's not alone in reacting immediately before hearing all the facts). And now the China thing has been looming for him ever since the Daryl Morey incident, where he claimed Morey "wasn't educated." Kanter is calling him out for that, specifically. LBJ has had plenty of time to get "educated" about what is going on in China. He's either choosing to remain ignorant, or he has educated himself but refuses to speak out.

LBJ cares more about money and his legacy than he does about social justice, and Kanter is calling him out for it.

18. fl0at_

The China thing is bogus. If everyone who wants to focus on something local has to first address global things, we'll never focus on local things.

I'm fine with making China the thing someone focuses on, but simply because their issue sits above a smaller issue doesn't make the smaller issue less important.

You have to pick your battles.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I agree with this. But Lebron telling Morey to "get educated" on the China issue because it hurt LeBron's bottom line is different than it just not being important and him ignoring it.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hes a clown. Great athlete and ball player. Definitely #1 goat when you combo ball/clown