POLITICS Mega-Churches

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 9, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Another leader of a mega church (Willow Creek in Chicago, with 25,000+ members) has fallen because of sexual misconduct.

I am not saying that all mega-churches are bad, or that their leaders are money grubbing sex maniacs, but I don't find the allure of joining one of these things. I know many are born into them (and of course, the mega church of all mega churches, the Catholic Church, is king to this), but most of the churches are not that old.

Surely there cannot be any real spiritual need being fulfilled by being in one of these things, is there? Seems you would get far more fulfillment out of a smaller church.

And the dangers of excess in these monstrosities (by this word, you should know where I fall in my like/dislike for them) is many fold.

I just don't understand it.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

To summarize -

1. It's easy to go to one of these and be a face and not a person
    2. They are trendy

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Damn I don't even live in a county with that many people.

MaconVol and justingroves like this.
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Gimme this:

MaconVol likes this.
  5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm not a fan or a critic of mega churches ... people worship how they worship I suppose. That said, adultery and sexcapades by pastors or members of churches have no congregational size limits.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve attended a couple on one-off types of deals i.e. traveling or other reasons and I don’t think it’s for me. I think there are pros and cons just like anything else

I’m heavily involved in the music ministry and I would not have that opportunity at a mega-church.

Also I can count my church’s staff as friends and it would be difficult to do that at a mega-church

7. JayVols

I agree it's preference. I'm a community small congregation guy. It feels much more personal to me. That said, if I am unable to attend, I like watching Dr. Charles Stanley out of Atlanta...even if he's Southern Baptist. As far as big churches go, I find him to be not the stereotypical mega church guy. I just know him by his messages. He could be a money grubber too, but I've never got that impression.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I like him too. I also really like Michael Todd who has a church in Tulsa, OK. He is pretty young and presents concepts in a way that I've never heard them before. Just a clip below if you have a second to watch.

9. JayVols

I could listen to that guy. I liked him.

smokysbark likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I grew up in a 175 person country church and go to a 350-400 person church now. Only two requirements for me are solid preaching/teaching and people that are genuine about faith and care.

MaconVol likes this.
  11. JayVols

Good standards.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I prefer god like my constitution, dead. That being said, whatever helps people to find meaning, peace, and fulfillment in their lives.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Borat speaking in tongues in church was good comedy.