Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Joseph Brant, May 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Great stuff.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Powerful.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Awesome read.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've always said "Happy Memorial Day" to veterans w/o thinking through how those words sound to them. Truly an oxymoron. I think I need another phrase.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Went out to the National Cemetery yesterday to see my grandaddys grave. Getting to see an American flag stuck by every headstone is an awesome sight. Hard not to get choked up and I've seen it several times.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Wonderful piece.

9. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

My brother volunteered to place wreaths on graves a few years back. He said it was a completely overwhelming and humbling experience.

10. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I had a fraternity brothe killed near fallajuah in Sept 04. Every Memorial Day his favorite quote stays in my head all day, "**** a bunch of a-rabs". He said it non stop after 9/11.

12. Beechervol

I can imagine.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Great piece.

Reminds me of something my dad (USMC, Vietnam) and I shared this weekend. Was a terse moment after everyone had gone back inside after a BBQ. It was nothing really more than a "to the ones who didn't make it back" and a grimace. Perhaps a bit too much of survivors guilt is sprinkled in here, who knows. We didn't talk about it.

And our BBQ was just about like everyone elses. Just a good day to get together and celebrate being alive, back home and surrounded by family and friends. That's fine by both of us.

But, my lord, the facebook posts.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That was a bad time to be in a very bad place.

15. CardinalVol

Yes, yes it was. Jumped on a bomb to save his platoon.

16. Beechervol

A church friend of mine was there about that time.

He said it was terrible on many fronts.

17. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Was he Force Recon? Just curious. The block to block, house to house, room to room fighting that happened in Fallujah was as intense as any fighting in the entire war. Recon Marines were set up in hide sites calling danger close fire missions for insurgent positions all around themselves.

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Know much about Force Recon?

19. CardinalVol

I don't think so, but honestly not 100% sure. He was a Lt. in the Marines though.

20. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I was in Army Spec Ops so I know a few of them and have talked with them some. We had spec ops aircraft there in Fallujah providing CAS to those guys at the time. But, to answer your question, I would never pretend to know first hand about the door kickers or what they endured.